Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cocoon (reprocessed starfield)

alan4908

Following on from my recent Cocoon I thought I would have another go.  Apart from the fact that I had inadvertently black clipped the entire image :hiding:...... I really liked the Cocoon result but I the more I looked at the image the less I liked the starfield. So, in this attempt,  I decided to see if I could improve the starfield.  

One defect that I noticed was that my stars did not display a uniform colour, on further investigation I discovered that my average FWHM in each of the RGB channels varied quite a bit which I presume is a consequence of the inability of my scope to focus the RGB channels to the same point. So, I decided to compensate by deconvolving each channel separately to obtain approximately the same FWHM in each channel. I then re-registered the deconvolved images and created RGB starfield. The result was a more uniform star colour. 

Alan

IC5146 (reprocessed starfield).jpg

Lights: Ha 5 x 1800s, L: 19: R:16;G:13;B:15 x 600s. DARKS: 30; FLATS: 40; BIAS: 100 all at -20C. 

Thanks for the comment Wim.

Your point on the widefield perspective is interesting.  I think I have a natural tenancy to overdo close crops since I always like to maximize the image detail of the main subject, however, the stars within the star field can get quite large and unattractive if this technique is overused.

Alan 

Yes, sometimes stars can intrude and take over the image. Keeping stars under control will be important, but as long as the nebulae remain the main subject in your image, a widefield can lift it.

Nice image and all objects look in order, stars can be a pain though can't they :).  That said after my first year of processing with far too much star reduction i decided that they should be there and practiced their inclusion rather than exclusion.  I focused on managing the size early on rather than adjusting/reducing later.  All sounds obvious enough but is actually harder to do.  This image has a nice balance though i would not be worried about allowing more stars if available, this also helps contrast the dust lanes better.

Paddy

1 hour ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice image and all objects look in order, stars can be a pain though can't they :).  That said after my first year of processing with far too much star reduction i decided that they should be there and practiced their inclusion rather than exclusion.  I focused on managing the size early on rather than adjusting/reducing later.  All sounds obvious enough but is actually harder to do.  This image has a nice balance though i would not be worried about allowing more stars if available, this also helps contrast the dust lanes better.

Paddy

Thanks for the comments Paddy -  I do find starfields challenging, particularly when they are embedded within nebulosity !

Alan 

Archived