NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How strong is Acetal/nylon66

Doc

I'm thinking off making wheelbarrow wheels and handles for my dob. It's a 16" and heavy.

In work there are a few offcuts big enough for an axle and side bars and handles but they are made of either Acetal or Nylon66 rod and flat sheet.

There is one piece of 25mm rod for the axle and quite a few flat plate bits about 15 mm thick.

Would this material be strong enough and maybe as strong as aluminium.

Doc

Having machined numerous components out of acetal/nylon i can guarantee that the material is strong enough for wheels.

As for the 25mm axle.it should be ok provided there is not excessive overhang from where the axle is supported and the wheel itself.Handles?..i would make them out of pipe because a 2ft lenght of nylon is quite bendy.What sort of pipe? whatever you can get your hands on,aluminium preferably for lightness but any light wall pipe would do the trick.

Yep, I'd agree with that too.

I've made all sorts of extension tubes and adapters, using acetal (aka DELRIN).

Easy to 'turn' on the lathe, already black, so no need to anodise, as with aluminium, and strong/ durable.

Dave

Archived