Milky way timelapse - more testing

Taken at our dark site on Friday the 5th of August.

184 frames, Baader modified 6D, Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens, 15 seconds, ISO 6400.

The lack of contrast is due to the thin cloud clearing away, which is reflecting light from Southampton which is about 30 miles away!

Not sure if the uploaded video will play, so here's a link to the flickr version (compressed and stuttery unfortunately).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64466793@N08/28772672421Milky Way Timelapse 14mm.mp431403-milkywaytimelapse14mmmp4

The ISS came over as I started, unmistakable! Managed to capture it in the 1st frame.

Milky way 14mm 2.8-1.jpg

Thanks Dave - no this is on a fixed tripod. The panning only really works when there's something in the foreground to pan around / up / turn etc.

Also, to make it effective, the foreground has to be lit, or every frame needs to be composited, for background and foreground combined, before animating into a clip - this is very time consuming.

Next time I do it, I'm going to set up a radio flash, to light the foreground ever so slightly on every shot - I couldn't do this at a star party, for obvious reasons!

Thanks, the contrails do look neat passing over, but you can't imagine the number of planes and satellites that were visible during the 3 or so hours we were there.

We also saw a couple of huge meteors, sadly out of view of the camera.

Here's 8 of the later frames aligned and stacked to create a fairly decent still image:

Milky way main 14mm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64466793@N08/28779654181

Really difficult to process out the light 'dome' from the distance without really screwing it up.

I went an extra step on this, and removed the green in Pixinsight, along with some rgb colour noise reduction.

The difference between the top part (Cygnus, lots of red and pink gas) and the bottom (Sagittarius) is quite immense!

Archived