NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Targets for 80mm Scope

Hi,

I'm looking for some new targets for my ETX80, usually I check out Saturn, the Moon, and Pleiades. I still haven't seen Jupiter and I'd quite like to look at a galaxy, maybe M31.

Any suggestions for galaxies or other DSOs that would be impressive through an 80mm lens?

Thanks,

Bryan.

Globulars are always impressive, stick a 15 to 9mm EP on that scope and point it at any of the Messier Globulars..

If you want a nice galaxy to look at obviously M31 is good, stick a 40mm EP for that one..(still may not be quite wide enough), M81 and 82 are also nice but a lot fainter..

If you want to really impress other people, just point it at the moon with a 15 to 9mm EP... it always makes people go wow..

The double cluster in perseus (rising in the NE) will be very nice in an 80mm scope..

Ant

Thanks Ant, I had a look at Perseus on Sunday. I used it as my target for my first try of astrophotography. :shocked:

I will definitely be having another look :thumbright:

If you can, get a copy of turn left at orion. It is full of objects for small scopes and has them listed by season.

You won't really need the finding instructions as you have goto but the book is really the only good non complicated guide.

The objects are by no means comprehensive but they give a really good taste and you will gain good experience of what you can see with your scope before moving on with other atlases.

If you can, get a copy of turn left at orion.

Cool, bought a copy of this a while back and at the same time I bought Patrick Moore's Atlas of the Universe. I read the Atlas and forgot I had bought Orion. I'll go dig it out :shocked:

Here is a little table of targets, noting which I can see with scopes of various apertures (including an 80mm) from city and dark-sky sites.

http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/astro/writings/myBeginnerObjects.shtml

- Richard

Excellent Richard! Do you mind if I link to it from my own astronomy group's site (not copying it, just a hyperlink pointing to it)?

Excellent Richard! Do you mind if I link to it from my own astronomy group's site (not copying it, just a hyperlink pointing to it)?

It would be an honour - link away.

- Richard

Archived