Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

viel nebula question

Astroblagger

Three hours of data should certainly give you an image, I haven't had much time on this one but below is the result of one 30 min Ha sub and two 30 min OIII subs.

Obviously it could do with more subs so that I can actually stack them but it should give you an idea of what you will get with limited exposure time.

image.jpeg

Hi!

Veil nebula is mostly done in Bi-Color as far as i have seen, as there is relatively little SII. Both HA & OIII are very strong, and i have done (part) of the target with 20-min subs but total exposure time around 6h. But you can get very far with much less exposure time. Id' just go for 1h HA & OIII each and then decide if you're happy (depends on your noise levels & so on).

Personally, i'd not bother with the SII. It will make your whole process totally different, as you'll have to stretch the monkey out of that data, and if you do so, your background noise will explode. Alternatively you could do a Tonemapping approach, but that requires far more processing time (but is very effective)

NGC6960

Kind regards, Graem

The Veil goes on and on - and then on again and again, the more data you get, certainly in Ha. There are faint things to be had that you might never have seen before. I don't know abut SII but the OIII is also very strong. It's the Ha that really goes the deepest though.

Olly

The SII channel often overlaps the same areas as the Ha (and it's mostly a dimmer echo of it). This might not sound useful but in practice it enables you to generate more colour 'depth' and a greater range of shading.

ChrisH

Channels.jpg

With narrow band you cant think of it as you would taking a well colour balanced RGB image ie G2V weighted exposure or even equal amounts of  time. In narrow band the object will dictate how much you need in each. There is always enough H-alpha in most nebulae. So knowing how much you need is a bit of a dark art.  I tend to look at the amounts signal in the background to give me an idea of what is enough. Hope you get what you need for this one I'll look forward seeing your end result.

Archived