Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Heart Nebula

Mr_42tr0nomy

Hey all!

Last night, between the times in which the sky was covered with those big white fluffy things, I was able to capture 2 and half hours of data on the Heart Nebula. My OIII filter should be coming in soon (been over three weeks!! arrggghh! ;) ) and Im pumped to see this one in color!

I used the 102mm apo, atik 414 and the Orion Atlas.

Exposure times: 6x1500s and 2x600s

Enjoy and Clear skies!  Any constructive criticism is highly encouraged :)

full res attchd. Pictures posted in text like the one below always seems to appear of much better quality when simply enlarged. :)

heart nebula.jpg

heart nebula.psd

Nice work. Congrats.

In my opinion and eyes, a bit more contrast or stretching (don't know which of these two will work best) should reveal better the nebulosity and give a bit more 3d like effect.

Wow--that's quite a scale for a 102mm FL--Must be that ATIK.  Whats the pixel size on that camera?  This makes one think that a larger arpeture scope is not needed at all for DSOs.  A conclusion I am coming to on my own as well!

I hope you don't mind me posting an image I took with the C11 edge at fl 1,960--its a horrific image I took a long time ago--but its the scale I am amazed at in your image.  Note your scale is almost the same as mine (bigger FOV of course).  The pixel size on my STT-8300 is 5.4--smaller than yours!.  I feel like I have just unlearned everything I knew (this happens to me about once a month in this hobby).  Again--ignore the atrocious processing in my image.  

Melotte15 HN-HST-1a.jpg

20 hours ago, Rodd said:

Nope not teh pixel size (6.45 or something).  What is teh FL of that scope?  Looks like it was taken near 1,800mm!!!

The focal length is 714 I believe, or 703, so definitely not 1800! haha, And what you makes you say 1800, the field of view?

1 hour ago, Mr_42tr0nomy said:

The focal length is 714 I believe, or 703, so definitely not 1800! haha, And what you makes you say 1800, the field of view?

No--the scale of your image is almost the same as mine!  Details of the Heart (Melotte 15) are as big as mine (or almost).

6 minutes ago, Rodd said:

No--the scale of your image is almost the same as mine!  Details of the Heart (Melotte 15) are as big as mine (or almost).

AHH, I see. I have been thoroughly impressed with details. Now that Im getting 2700s exposures the details are really starting to show. I cannot wait until I can do some HaLrgb on some galaxies and see how well the details show. Itll be awhile until i get the astrodon E series second gen LRGB filters :/

7 hours ago, Mr_42tr0nomy said:

AHH, I see. I have been thoroughly impressed with details. Now that Im getting 2700s exposures the details are really starting to show. I cannot wait until I can do some HaLrgb on some galaxies and see how well the details show. Itll be awhile until i get the astrodon E series second gen LRGB filters :/

Its not the clarity of the details that I refer to--but the size.  As you know--2 things effect image scale (size of DSOs--or more correctly--size of the FOV representation on the screen--which is different than the FOV)--FL and pixel size.  Your pixels are larger than mine and your FL is smaller (more than 100% smaller!)--yet your "details"  (certain features--like a knot in a nebula, or Melotte 15 itself (the cork screw feature and star cluster)) are as big as mine.  

Archived