Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

full frame cameras

The only advantage of full frame is a larger chip to give a larger field of view. Then the big question is, Can you find the optics to cover it? This is not by any means easy and is certainly going to be expensive. I use full frame CCD cameras with Tak FSQ106 and TEC 140 with TEC flattener. The ODK will also cover full frame. But it is not a long list...

Olly

The Canon 6D is your best bet, very good Ha responce without modding and a reasonable QE

An excellent 6D would easiiy fetch between 900>1000 but with recent events prices may be rising.
MPB is a good place to look but there are non on there at the moment.
I bought a nearly new one with a lowish count for just over 900 on there.

As Olly points out, covering a FF chip is not easy and can be expensive but it does depend on what you want to achieve.

Here is a test I did with my 6D and a Nifty Fifty at f2.8, stars are naff around the edges but the Ha comes out well.
This is just 7x30 seconds and I did'nt bother to process that well as it was just a test.

6dha.jpg

20 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The only advantage of full frame is a larger chip to give a larger field of view. Then the big question is, Can you find the optics to cover it? This is not by any means easy and is certainly going to be expensive. I use full frame CCD cameras with Tak FSQ106 and TEC 140 with TEC flattener. The ODK will also cover full frame. But it is not a long list...

Olly

Not only that Olly but generally the pixel sizes on full frame sensors are larger than "crop" sensors, for example a Canon 800D has 3.7um pixels and a Canon 6D has 6.54um pixels.

I prefer using my Canon 6D to my Canon 650D however I use them both with lenses that can cover full frames.

1 hour ago, StuartJPP said:

Not only that Olly but generally the pixel sizes on full frame sensors are larger than "crop" sensors, for example a Canon 800D has 3.7um pixels and a Canon 6D has 6.54um pixels.

I prefer using my Canon 6D to my Canon 650D however I use them both with lenses that can cover full frames.

I didn't know that but it does indeed make them better suited to AP through most scopes.

Olly

Archived