Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions on different versions of the same lens

matt-c

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a canon 200mm 2.8 and have been offered a mk1 for what I think is a good price, is this up to the job or should I hold out for the more recent versions?

I don't mind what it's made of or its autofocus is improved I just want to make sure that optically these lenses are the same?

Cheers

As far as I'm aware the only difference between the mk1 and mk2 is that the lens hood is built into the mk1 and is detachable on the mk2, I believe the optics are exactly the same.

I have a mk1 and it produces very sharp star images at f2.8 across the frame of my 500D with only a small increase in HWFM towards the corners.

James

3 hours ago, james_screech said:

As far as I'm aware the only difference between the mk1 and mk2 is that the lens hood is built into the mk1 and is detachable on the mk2, I believe the optics are exactly the same.

I have a mk1 and it produces very sharp star images at f2.8 across the frame of my 500D with only a small increase in HWFM towards the corners.

James

Thanks a lot James, exactly what I was hoping.

It'd be rude not to now :tongue2:

Archived