Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Camera for alt-az planetary video

I have been terrascoping and digiscoping in an unconventional sence using cheap smartphones with good results for terrestrial, moon and Sun but would also like to include planets. I have a really nice laptop with all the software and stacking programs already loaded including stellarium and azcom control for my etx90at and am just wondering  what ccd or cmos would work best. I am not looking to create fantastic images I would need more aperture and better mounts but to just do neat vids and photos to share with the family. I also use a 114mm omni for deepsky and the asi120mc and mm have caught my eye but I am more wondering if there are other cameras out there I am overlooking. I am aware of sky rotation, planetary rotation and other limits including aperture and mount. I have also modded a few webcams with ok results but know if I spend a few hundred things could be better. All of my celestial viewing is done under dark sky's with 0 light pollution and this allows for the use of small apertures in a very big way.  Most of my time is spent observing and when seeing is best the last thing I do is let go the eyepiece but that dosent bring home anything to share with those I leave behind...I have about 300us in the kitty...

For the setup that you own, theASI120MM/MC is a good choice. Others would be an overkill. Its not just the camera that produces great pictures. One needs good resolution, possible only by large aperture like 8" or above, a good, stable mount like the EQ6 or higher, a high quality barlow to increase image amplification, but most of all, one needs tonnes of practice. This is where the ASI120 come in. You  can use it to extensively practice with your setup until you know for certain that you have run out of things to do. Then go ahead and purchase a nice big SCT from meade or Celestron. New or old doesnt matter.

Thanks Astrosathya...since I have your ear, I am reading here on sgl that some are doing all their observing with cam/computer and nolonger use the eyepiece for observing. I have also read this elswhere and it's one of the reasons I have become more  interested in imageing among others. I have not yet seen what a quality camera can do for a small scope let alone a large one in an unedited raw video fashion which has me curious. Is it really possible with the right equipment to observe entirely by electronic means...or is this still just a dream that those who think and say it's possible are imagining? Is their anywhere online one could view such observations?

Hi, you can save the stacks as either what is on the screen, including processing such as histogram and dark subtraction, or just the stacked image with no processing.

The live stacking is usually used for DSO's only.

Cool...Mostly my inerest is in sharing with the family something more tangible than fantastic stories of great views from afar. Something that doesn't require alot of home time prossesing is perfect because shareing is made easy as they have already been missing me...

Archived