Win10 adhoc network ?

Davey-T

Trying to connect my 10Micron mount to a Win10 laptop using a wireless adhoc network, something M'Soft appear to be not keen on me doing :)

Managed to create the adhoc network and the mount detects it but I can't get the two to talk to each other.

Fiddled with all the settings that I can find to no avail.

A few pic's of what I've achieved so far.

Any help appreciated

Dave

Adhoc-2.PNG

Adhoc-1.PNGThis screen doesn't appear preumabley because it's not detecting the network

Network adapter.PNG

2 hours ago, cuivenion said:

http://www.howto-connect.com/create-wireless-ad-hoc-internet-connection-on-windows-10/

Not sure if you're using this technique to do it, but if you do make sure you open the command prompt as an administrator.

Yes can create the network just can't communicate with it

2 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Which model mount is it?

10Micron 1000GMHPS it has built in wireless comunication.

Dave

Can`t help with the network Dave but I seem to have had an almighty Win 10 update to day which took about 2 hours and things seem to be running better than before not sure if that would help or not? Windows is not flavour of the month with me at the moment !!

Steve

5 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Can`t help with the network Dave but I seem to have had an almighty Win 10 update to day which took about 2 hours and things seem to be running better than before not sure if that would help or not? Windows is not flavour of the month with me at the moment !!

Steve

Hi Steve, updated it a couple of days ago before I started this effort just to be sure I had the latest of everything.

It connects quite happily on a Win7 laptop using an ethernet cable but I need to get it to work wirelessly.

Dave

1 minute ago, cuivenion said:

It says on the 10micron site that wifi is optional for that mount, not built in.

That's outdated, they all come with it built in now, the mount detects the network just can't communicate between the two.

Dave

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

That's outdated, they all come with it built in now, the mount detects the network just can't communicate between the two.

Dave

Fair enough, could it be something to do with the IP address? When I'm connecting Sky Safari to EQMOD with Wifiscope, the IP's need to match.

9 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Fair enough, could it be something to do with the IP address? When I'm connecting Sky Safari to EQMOD with Wifiscope, the IP's need to match.

Tried letting it auto detect and filling in manually but no difference.

Just been messing about with it and when I start the adhoc network it says identifying and after a while it says unidentified, does this mean it won't work, see pics

Dave

Adhoc-9.PNG

Adhoc-10.PNG

There's no instructions for the wireless section for the mount I can find so that complicates things. If it has wifi built in would it not broadcast it's own network, that you would then join. there shouldn't be a need for the ad hoc network.

On the 10micron site it says the wifi is a client and/or access point, so it should be be broadcasting it's own signal which you can join normally with your laptop wifi, without having to use an ad hoc.

2 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

On the 10micron site it says the wifi is a client and/or access point, so it should be be broadcasting it's own signal which you can join normally with your laptop wifi, without having to use an ad hoc.

That's my next move to try to use the mount as a hotspot, would like to know why the network doesn't work though.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

That's my next move to try to use the mount as a hotspot, would like to know why the network doesn't work though.

Dave

I'm afraid I'm not clever enough to pin down why the network won't identify. Were there no instructions on how to connect to the mount? I would definitely just let the mount transmit and try to join normally, as if you were joining a home router. Hopefully there's some documentation that provides the password and such. I'm guessing here by the way, hopefully something will be of help.

Dave: so you don't have a wireless router involved - just PC to Mount? If you have a router available you could try that, let it sort out the DHCP/DNS side of things and disable it on the mount. It's a while since I played around with wireless networks and I have no idea about how Win10 works...

ChrisH

The laptop has a built in wireless adapter that in theory can communicate with other wireless enabled devices without the need for a router.

This thing

Network adapter.PNG

Win10 appears to make life as hard as possible, in Win7 you get pop up messages offering to connect to the mount :)

I was trying to keep this simple and avoid using a router so far it's proving anything but  

Dave

This is how I set up an ad hoc network in Windows 10:

1. Right click on the start button. Choose command prompt(admin)

2. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=networkname key=password

3. netsh wlan start hostednetwork

In place of the networkname I put "Astro", your password (replacing password) must be at least 8 characters. My Iphone can connect to the laptop using this with no problems. You could try updating the drivers for the Wifi card on your laptop if the network won't identify.

Apologies if your well up on IT stuff.

Could the security on the ad hoc network might be whats stopping the mount from connecting to it? Without knowing how the wifi on the mount works it's hard to pin down whats going on.

Yes that's pretty much what I did, and the handset detects the network because it displays "adhocnetwork" and a WiFi icon on the handset display but all the traffic is one way no returns.

Dave

Could Windows firewall block it ?

25 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Is there a way to input your network password into the handset? I don't see how it could connect without that.

Yes done that no effect though, just tried using the mount as a hotspot entered everything in the handset which says its configured the new network but the laptop's not detecting it.

Damn computers

Dave

How old is the laptop and how new if the mount.  Thinking if the mount is 5GHz Wi-Fi and laptop is only 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.

I'd doubt the mount is 5GHz only but some Access Points are (I'd expect either 2.4 or dual band) but a thought.

Ian

35 minutes ago, psamathe said:

How old is the laptop and how new if the mount.  Thinking if the mount is 5GHz Wi-Fi and laptop is only 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.

I'd doubt the mount is 5GHz only but some Access Points are (I'd expect either 2.4 or dual band) but a thought.

Ian

Well I've just got it to work using an old Win7 laptop and the mount as a hotspot, it also works on the Win7 laptop via ethernet cable.

No way in hell can I get it to connect to Win10 laptop, Toshiba Kira new.

Dave

Archived