SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Suitable Mount Upgrade

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my telescope's mount, which at present is an EQ2. I'm not sure what mount would be best, though. Does anyone know of a mount with: a Polar Finder Scope, (or the facilities to attach one), strong tripod, and tracking motors? The top of my budget for the mount itself is around £300, but I could probably buy a finder scope and motor drives at a later date, if necessary. I'm wanting to use the mount for general telescope viewing, possibly with my DSLR piggybacked for Deep-Sky imaging.  

The mount also needs to be one with some development potential, like auto-guiding capabilities, which I can make use of as I continue the hobby.

Is there a mount that would fit this?

Thanks for looking,

John :smiley:

Hi John it was all going well until you mentioned deep sky imaging. In my view that means a minimum of an HEQ5 Pro or equivalent. I sold mine for just under £500 so that gives you an idea of second hand budget for such a mount. It will do everything you ask in your post.

If you only want to do DSO imaging with a piggy-back DSLR, an EQ5 would still do. If you can get a second-hand Vixen Great Polaris, that would be better. The Vixen GP is the mount that was cloned to create the EQ5, and the engineering is quite a bit better. I have had mine for twenty years, and done some piggy-back imaging, and even some unguided DSO imaging through an APM 80mm F/6 with 0.8x focal reducer.

In my experience, I was able to guide pretty well using an EQ5 pro and it was carrying a longish tube refractor (Evostar 120), a guidescope, guide cam and a dslr. It was at its limit though and if you want to future proof your set up against new equipment then a HEQ5 is the better bet.

I can't be sure if my EQ5 was a good example or what i am describing is normal performance!

Dan.

55 minutes ago, Watcher said:

I have bought an EQ-6 with a 250mm Newtonian for £350. I guess this was a reasonable price?

That's a steal at £350 where did you snap that one up? Would that be this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatcher-Telescope-and-EQ-6-mount-and-motor-/322166832982?hash=item4b02a3bf56%3Ag%3AAkkAAOSwc1FXbPeu&nma=true&si=tqP6sm%2Bp%2BMzHFE4H8ha%2FOTlfTYc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 bolt on a GT kit for £295 and your laughing.

13 hours ago, spaceboy said:

That's the one. I thought it was a good price but then the doubts started to creep in a bit!

I feel you got a bargain and I'm sure others do too. I remember seeing it on eBay and thinking it was a staff room at a college or something. An outreach scope sprang to mind. Replacement parts are not the easiest of things to find but they do come up.

Goes to show the OP that £300 can go a long way if your patient for the right time to come up.

Archived