Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

International Sunday CBSAP outreach- June 26 FD's

Tyson M

I was out helping a friend for a solar outreach event here in my home town.

His AR127 quark combo was down because of a problem with the quark. My Lunt  took it's place on the mount.

I tried to image at the end, but I was playing with my FC with my friend and couldn't figure out why the disk was so overexposed, even at the lowest gain and expsure settings.

I guess I had it on the wrong exposure RANGE from messing with different planet profiles I think. All I got is FD prom shots.

Hope you all got some sun! 

June26.jpg

conv_Moon_165645_g6_q206.jpg

June26invert.jpg

At least you got the proms. FC has quite an intricate set of controls, which takes some getting used to, I must say. I now have all the presets for different planets, and different solar filters just the way I want it.

We didn't have an event this year, and I do not think it would have been a great success if we had. There was a lot of cloud, and several showers. I did manage to capture a lot of data, but that was down to sheer bloodymindedness ;)

Next year I hope it will be better, weather-wise, but if the sun is as blank as it was yesterday in WL, it makes little sense to set up a whole host of WL set-ups. Given that the majority of scopes last year was WL, with a smattering of H-alpha (4, I seem to remember: an LS35 (which I had just sold to the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute), my SolarMax-II 60mm (single stack), a SolarMax-II 40mm, and my Solar Spectrum/APM 80mm combo. We had no Ca-K, but we did have a smattering of sunspots. That meant the WL guys had something to show.

WL was featureless with no spots, but the SV90 raptor with lunt diagonal was great. The average person thought it was relatively lacklustre but I knew that was a big quality view. 

We had the Baader continuum filter in but scopes owner said the views are better with the variable polarizing filter. 

Archived