Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lagoon Nebula Proccessing

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Whatever you go for you must understand that it is all about time. The very simplest images I post will have 6 hours. These will be bright targets like clusters which need no hard stretching.

My friend Yves and I spent about 22 hours on the Eagle. It just does take time. There is no way out of this at present. Click on the image and look for Full Size, bottom left. Honestly, time, time, time. C'est la vie!

M16%20Eagle%20HaO111RGB%2020%20HRS%20WEB

Olly

I linked my picture of the Eagle Nebula. Your picture is just incredible. There is so much structure in yours that is completely blurred out in mine. Mine is only a measly 4 hours, is yours taken somewhere dark or was it just in your backyard? I'm afraid to spend so much time on an image because I feel that my short (60seconds) subs simply aren't long enough to capture that faint nebulosity that you captured. Taking hundreds upon hundreds of subs still won't change the fact that I am not capturing the nebula. Am I correct in this thinking? Thanks.

Hayden

Final donwgraded.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Herzy said:

I linked my picture of the Eagle Nebula. Your picture is just incredible. There is so much structure in yours that is completely blurred out in mine. Mine is only a measly 4 hours, is yours taken somewhere dark or was it just in your backyard? I'm afraid to spend so much time on an image because I feel that my short (60seconds) subs simply aren't long enough to capture that faint nebulosity that you captured. Taking hundreds upon hundreds of subs still won't change the fact that I am not capturing the nebula. Am I correct in this thinking? Thanks.

Hayden

Final donwgraded.jpg

My dark site is my backyard. I run a small astronomy business.

The more data you have the harder you can stretch it and the more you can sharpen it. You really can't do much in processing with a shallow data stack. It just breaks down into noise.

Your Eagle has lots of good data in place. More, more more. It's an old story...

Olly

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

My dark site is my backyard. I run a small astronomy business.

The more data you have the harder you can stretch it and the more you can sharpen it. You really can't do much in processing with a shallow data stack. It just breaks down into noise.

Your Eagle has lots of good data in place. More, more more. It's an old story...

Olly

Thanks! I will try to get it to 10 hours and see what it looks like from there. Your picture is just truly amazing. It really highlights the vastness of space zooming in on those pillars. Those are probably billions of miles across. Unfathomable.

Also, you're lucky. I'm only 15 (no license yet) so I only get to go to an dark site like every 4 months. Having a dark site so accessible is my dream. :)

Hayden

6 minutes ago, Herzy said:

Thanks! I will try to get it to 10 hours and see what it looks like from there. Your picture is just truly amazing. It really highlights the vastness of space zooming in on those pillars. Those are probably billions of miles across. Unfathomable.

Also, you're lucky. I'm only 15 (no license yet) so I only get to go to an dark site like every 4 months. Having a dark site so accessible is my dream. :)

Hayden

Bravo Hayden. On forums we often don't know much about people but if you are taking pictures like yours at fifteen you will be blowing us all out of the water in a few years. Keep at it. It is so rewarding.

By the way, our Eagle was taken with big expensive kit. It wasn't mine, it was based here. It belonged to Yves, who now images from our robotic shed.

YVES-M.jpg

Olly

On 28/07/2016 at 21:04, ollypenrice said:

Whatever you go for you must understand that it is all about time. The very simplest images I post will have 6 hours. These will be bright targets like clusters which need no hard stretching.

My friend Yves and I spent about 22 hours on the Eagle. It just does take time. There is no way out of this at present. Click on the image and look for Full Size, bottom left. Honestly, time, time, time. C'est la vie!

M16%20Eagle%20HaO111RGB%2020%20HRS%20WEB

Olly

Supeeeerb! Oh, for more time! Roll on retirement.

Hayden.jpg

Heydens image,

treid a second time and this what i achieved.

Well, if of interest,will try to detail. Its never the same, each time you process, for some reason colours run Amok (in my case 4 sure)

PS:

Its very true Ollys backyard full of (Lavenders & Starladders ..lol..) and aroud are pretty dark sites.

This image taken under a moonlight flooded Orpierre 6 km from Ollys Place, 6 hrs of HA and S2.

Inspiration drives to meet living legends or reincarnations of Galileo Galilei :)

Olly thanx much.

CS

Rush

1396 HaS2.jpg

This is what I did.

A, Run ACB Offset in Nebulosity (DSLR images) in Default. Dont tweek any sliders

Save as fits file and open in PI

Click splitt channel (2 RINGS SYMBOL) Screen tranfsfer function  left on top.

B, Zoom in and draw a preview square on an empty spot

Without touching nebulosity and stars.

C, Do BN all in defalut.

D, Run DBE with Modelparameter 1

Tolerance 1,500, Smoothing factor 0.050.

Sample Generation with  Default sample radius 14.

Samples per row 14

Minimum sample weight 0.050

Generate Samples and remove  X markings from nebulosity, stars and details.

Target image correction  SUBTRACTION  rest all  in default.

Press excute, You will get somthing like this.

Lgn_DBE.jpg

run SCNR Green Reduction 75 %

E, Run ATrous wavelet transform (God! these names)

5 layers, Threshold 500,1000,500,000 and last as  default.

F, Do Histgram tranformation,dont  move any sliders all in default.

G,  Extract luminous channel.

H, RGB image , remove stars using Starmask.

I, Remove Star artifacts/residual with Multiscale Median Transform (God! these names)

4 layer,with  R layer active in deault.

J, Clean up a bit L channel if necessary  do local Histogram according to taste.

K, Combine RGB & L using LRGB combination, only L cahnnel active.

Saturation around 250.

J, Add in Pixelmath -  max (RGB,  L)

From resulting image extract L channel

And now do the Channel combination using the RGB and New L channel.

Finally run HDRMultiscale  without Deringing..

Tweek according to taste colour in Histogram Transformation and Colour saturation Individualy. This is what comes out. 

Hayden.jpg

Phew....... Have fun. Please be gentile to understand

this as an appraoch,  Learned  from Mr Harry and Signor Vincents Tutorials.

But im no PI GURU or PI ADDICT.

There are high end cool cats out there who can do this outrageously far better. Humbly apologise for my mistakes and ignorance .

CS

Rush

On August 5, 2016 at 14:00, Rush said:

Hayden.jpg

Heydens image,

treid a second time and this what i achieved.

Well, if of interest,will try to detail. Its never the same, each time you process, for some reason colours run Amok (in my case 4 sure)

PS:

Its very true Ollys backyard full of (Lavenders & Starladders ..lol..) and aroud are pretty dark sites.

This image taken under a moonlight flooded Orpierre 6 km from Ollys Place, 6 hrs of HA and S2.

Inspiration drives to meet living legends or reincarnations of Galileo Galilei :)

Olly thanx much.

CS

Rush

1396 HaS2.jpg

Wow. That's amazing!! What is that? I've never seen it before.

Your processing skills are just incredible. Would you mind having a go at my eagle nebula data set once I head to the observatory? I would like to see what you could do with that. It's in late August. You not only pulled out the main nebula, but you can also see the background Nebulosity. Just amazing. I am trying to get Pixinsight, it seems to be the thing all the pros use. Once I get it, I'll be able to test the different things you mentioned in your steps.

Well, thanx for the flowers,no worries, will try to process your image.

Would like to sent your image LGN to you, if you want it as Tiff or Jpeg give me a hint. its yours and you can show it your Astrofriends . You are doing great and stay tuned. You are getting into the groove.At your age i almost U bend my neck peeping through my 5 $ childrens telescope.

Long ago hunting darksites, I wound up in white mountain apache R. Hawley lake region heading G C  national park. I drove many miles there around,Flagstaff to Sedona, Pine around. extremely dark sites in Arizona.

CS

Rush

this was my shelter facing the lakeimage.jpg

image.jpg

38 minutes ago, Rush said:

Well, thanx for the flowers,no worries, will try to process your image.

Would like to sent your image LGN to you, if you want it as Tiff or Jpeg give me a hint. its yours and you can show it your Astrofriends . You are doing great and stay tuned. You are getting into the groove.At your age i almost U bend my neck peeping through my 5 $ childrens telescope.

Long ago hunting darksites, I wound up in white mountain apache R. Hawley lake region heading G C  national park. I drove many miles there around,Flagstaff to Sedona, Pine around. extremely dark sites in Arizona.

CS

Rush

this was my shelter facing the lakeimage.jpg

image.jpg

Yea, that would be great if you would send me it. That shelter and setup looks great. Those clouds though. :( 

It's funny, if I'm watching a movie and there is a new scene I immediately look at the sky for clouds. It's my astronomy sense!

• 3 weeks later...
On August 7, 2016 at 18:08, Rush said:

Sorry, forgot to mention the Object IC 1396.

Well, my trip to the observatory didn't work out. I ended up in the middle of a gravel lot near a big oil rig thing in the middle of nowhere trying to desperately grab some images before I was either stalked by one of the wild animals or until the big storm to my North started to blow over me. We had to run away from the clouds. Very stressful. I managed a whopping 9 minutes on M16. Did I mention there were like a million bugs out there? :( 

On the bright side, the view was incredible. Best skies I've ever seen. The MW was not only obvious, but there was so much structure visible in it. Probably the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. If only I could do it justice by taking a good image. I had originally planned 3 hours, but as I said earlier, only managed 9 minutes. 

I have nothing to show for that trip, but I would like to see what you could do with my data from my house. 

Something interesting happened with this one... This is only a 2.5 hours stack. The interesting thing is, my skies seemed to get really good for a few nights. Far better then when my other 7 hours were taken. So this 2.5hr stack shows far more detail then my 7hr stack. 

Anyways, I will include a high res and a low res version incase you don't want to download the full file (142.9MB)

Full File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmieds6aj9q0ajm/Day 6 - Stack copy.tiff?dl=0

Downgraded:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yhoqxaqwmyyxti/Day 6 - Stack (Downgraded).jpg?dl=0 

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, spillage said:

HI,

Here is my feeble attempt..really late and too many pints..using startools.

Cheers

Spill

Stack.jpg

Very nice. Make sure you don't clip the blacks by pulling the slider in to much. Much of the nebula is gone because you made the background too dark. You just need to let the image breath and it will look more smooth. Also, there are some strange color effects going on.

• 1 month later...

Hi Hayden,

Wow, I missed ur thread, Sorry fully forgot about it.

Here is a quick fix and a cropped version, it looks nice for that little Int.time.

Lot of colour mottle, unable to remove that pink hue.

Yes, Buggs and All Crawing aliens attack hobby astronomers :)

Need a regular email ID to send ur Images, cos i dont use Dropbox or similar to share the files.

Once again sorry for the late reply.

CS

Rush

Heyden2.jpg

Archived