NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

THE ULTIMATE SCOPE

DAVE AMENDALL

He has been trying to sell that for some time.  Price if I recall correctly, was $1 million when he first listed it.  Now down to less than $600,000.  It is beautiful to look at but research grade it is not.  Perhaps in the 18th century.

Would rather have this http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/refracting-telescopes-ota/apochromates/apm-lzos-telescope-apo-refractor-304-3600-cnc-lw-ii.html?info=615 or this if a 12" refractor was the goal. http://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/teleskope/linsenteleskope-optik-tubus/apochromaten/apm-lzos-teleskop-apo-refraktor-304-2280-cnc-lw-ii.html?info=922

Cool video though, thanks for sharing.

I remember seeing this a few years ago. I wonder if he ever had any interest in it? It's a lovely thing but not at all practical by todays standards. I should think that an achromat that size would show significant CA unless it was like F30. Not a problem if you're spending a few hundred quid as you'd expect it for the money, but at that price just think what Apo you could get!

I agree Chris, It really belongs to the Patrick Moore generation. Those guys did not need Goto.They knew the sky like their own backyard. It's the aesethetics that appeals to me. I would love a view through it. I looked through an 8" Cooke frac in Tenerife some years ago.There was no C A with that instrument but there is a big difference between 8" and 12"

Dave, it sounds like you're a man after my own heart. I too love the aesthetics of long refractors and the aesthetics of the stars through them! Goto's great for imaging but for visual you can't beat finding stuff out there for yourself if you ask me :)

I also love achromats because of their classic design, they look great, still give nice star shapes, and they are generally cheap. They have a certain charm about them. I'm on the look out for a cheap largish achro at the moment. I think an achro would be off the table for 600,000 dollars for most people but you never ever really know :)

Archived