Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Report 10/2/06

Well its 05:30 and I've called it a day. I had a enforced cloud break inbetween 2am and 4:30am. I was hoping for a good look at M3, M5, M53 etc but around the same time the Moon was going down in the West, the Sun was starting to make its presence felt in the East, so the views were less than amazing.

I had some cracking views of Jupiter around 04:30, once again my refractor came up trumps, the image was still steady at x300 through a 4mm Ortho, though TBH there was no more detail to be seen than at x240. The frac completey blew away the Intes Mak yet again on a planet, shame its such a big, unwieldy [removed word]!!

All the cloud dodging from 22:00 to 01:00 and having to catch views of Saturn, the Moon and M3 inbetween the cloud was worth it for the last hour looking at Jupiter and the globs through the refractor.

BTW, as I pulled the scopes down at the end of the night (morning) the "summer" constellations of Cygnus and Lyra were rising in the East.... :lol:

Nice report Gaz, i do like these reports they give the feeling of being there with the person in this case yourself. Jupiter is going to be too low at only viewable at the front of my house so i think the 127 Mak will be used for that considering the fools that live around here. Nice to see you get a look at the Gas Giant Gaz :lol: Cygnus and Lyra very nice i look forward to those very much did you get a peek at M13 per chance? Thats an early riser..

James

Cheers James, I do try and keep away from the type of "and then I looked at.....and then I looked at" thing. :lol:

Lyra and Cygnus were too low and the east isn't the best for me, in addition to the Sun rising, either Liverpool or (more likely) Chester throws up a bit of light.

Did you get the SCT sorted in the end?

I agree. A couple of times I've dragged myself outside feeling ready for sleep, and by the time the scope is set up I'm feeling fresh and lively. Must be the cold!

But there's no way I could stay up until 5:30am! On Wednesday morning I was up for work at 6:15am. It was really clear, with an impossibly bright Venus in the SE and a very bright Jupiter in the S. Beautiful. I don't think I could wake up early enough to set the scope up though!

Archived