Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

lunt zoom rattle

knobby

My TS 5mm rattled when shaken, the retaining ring on the scope side wasn't properly tightened. There was a notch on that retaining ring, I shaked EP lightly to make the lens settle, then used a small flat-face screwdriver to tighten the ring.

You'd rather have it touch loose, rather than tight. If it was tight, it might stop being a 'zoom' and become either a 'fixed' eyepiece, or a 'useless' zoom. If it's still working as it should and not giving you lop-sided views - let it rattle. A bit that is. If it's working as it should, there is one cure for the rattle you've described:

Stop shaking it.

Where I'm from, we have an old saying - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Dave

Mine worked very nicely on the sun, but the eye relief was a bit tight for me, so I sold it and got a WO 7.5-22.5 zoom instead. Same general quality but an 18.5-19mm eye relief, plenty for me with my glasses. If it hadn't been for my need for glasses during observation, I would almost certainly have kept the Lunt

Archived