SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Early evening summer fun.

I had a short but enjoyable session in excellent conditions this evening from about 10:30, seeing and transparency both 8/10 or more. Starting with Jupiter, sharp at 112x with the Hyperion 8mm, 4 moons putting on a nice show trailing on one side of the disc. I'm certain the moons were bigger than I've viewed before, almost looking disc like rather than point like and very crisp. I don't know how much of this is due to the improvement over the supplied Skywatcher EPs with the Hyperion and how much was due to the conditions, but I'm also certain I detected some colour in the moons, red(ish) and brown(ish) from Io and Ganymede respectively. All of this against a pitch black background with Chi Leonis hanging at the edge of the eyepiece.

On the disc, the NEB and SEB were so much more than the plain bands I've seen on some previous occasions with definite structure visible, especially when 2xbarlowed with nice views of the temperate belts and polar regions also. With the barlow though the detail was there one minute and not the next, the seeing was still ok so I think at 225x I'm pushing the limits of my 5" reflector, making it really sensitive to turbulence etc.

Then onto Mars, I struggled to focus at first at 17 degrees low, really wobbly but with moments of clarity at 10mm/90x with the skywatcher super-ma plossl, a glimpse of the pole and once focussed very brief moments were I could discern a dark wisp on the disc which unless I'm much mistaken is Terra Meridiani (happy to be corrected though)

Mars was a struggle though so it was time to take in Saturn, stunning at 8mm/112x, a blurry mess with the barlow. Not a lot of detail even for Saturn but the ringed giant seemed clear and crisp without the barlow and the Cassini division was visible for a large portion of the time. Very little turbulence meant focus was good and the planet was well defined.

I can't wait until 2024 and 2031 when these two beauties are at their highest again. I've a sneaky few days off work and I'm planning some afternoon moon tomorrow afternoon and I'm looking forward to my first solar views soon when my Astrozap filter clears customs, I'm not expecting much but it's a start and it just goes to show the summer months of undarkness don't have to be baron. I might even go hunting doubles again tomorrow night.

I'm also considering purchasing a better barlow, I'll post in equipment about that I think as I want some opinions.

Oh and I had a bit of a disappointment, I'm yet to see a Jupiter shadow transit - and Sky Safari told me there was one happening as I was setting up - not a chance - had it on the wrong ruddy date didn't I. Never mind, still a good session.

Clear skies

For anyone wanting a very simple software-program that will give you the locations of the Jovian-Moons at anytime you wish, as well as the GRS (Great Red Spot), this can live on your desktop - free, of course - as well as tell you who is who:

http://astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/

Just look for the 'download' link.

Enjoy!

Dave

On 08/06/2016 at 00:04, johnfosteruk said:

I had a short but enjoyable session in excellent conditions this evening from about 10:30, seeing and transparency both 8/10 or more. Starting with Jupiter, sharp at 112x with the Hyperion 8mm, 4 moons putting on a nice show trailing on one side of the disc. I'm certain the moons were bigger than I've viewed before, almost looking disc like rather than point like and very crisp. I don't know how much of this is due to the improvement over the supplied Skywatcher EPs with the Hyperion and how much was due to the conditions, but I'm also certain I detected some colour in the moons, red(ish) and brown(ish) from Io and Ganymede respectively. All of this against a pitch black background with Chi Leonis hanging at the edge of the eyepiece.

On the disc, the NEB and SEB were so much more than the plain bands I've seen on some previous occasions with definite structure visible, especially when 2xbarlowed with nice views of the temperate belts and polar regions also. With the barlow though the detail was there one minute and not the next, the seeing was still ok so I think at 225x I'm pushing the limits of my 5" reflector, making it really sensitive to turbulence etc.

Then onto Mars, I struggled to focus at first at 17 degrees low, really wobbly but with moments of clarity at 10mm/90x with the skywatcher super-ma plossl, a glimpse of the pole and once focussed very brief moments were I could discern a dark wisp on the disc which unless I'm much mistaken is Terra Meridiani (happy to be corrected though)

Mars was a struggle though so it was time to take in Saturn, stunning at 8mm/112x, a blurry mess with the barlow. Not a lot of detail even for Saturn but the ringed giant seemed clear and crisp without the barlow and the Cassini division was visible for a large portion of the time. Very little turbulence meant focus was good and the planet was well defined.

I can't wait until 2024 and 2031 when these two beauties are at their highest again. I've a sneaky few days off work and I'm planning some afternoon moon tomorrow afternoon and I'm looking forward to my first solar views soon when my Astrozap filter clears customs, I'm not expecting much but it's a start and it just goes to show the summer months of undarkness don't have to be baron. I might even go hunting doubles again tomorrow night.

I'm also considering purchasing a better barlow, I'll post in equipment about that I think as I want some opinions.

Oh and I had a bit of a disappointment, I'm yet to see a Jupiter shadow transit - and Sky Safari told me there was one happening as I was setting up - not a chance - had it on the wrong ruddy date didn't I. Never mind, still a good session.

Clear skies

It sounds like you had a great time John. To see the colour differences in the moon's of Jupiter shows you have a keen eye. The subtle colours are very real!

Mars, even when high, can be a difficult target but yet again your observing skill is spot on, as you did indeed see Terra Meridiani. Also, don't be too dissapointed with Saturn as it too is suffering because of its low angle fro here in the UK.

Mike :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike, the new EP made a big difference, and once I sort out which Barlow I'm buying I'm sure that'll improve things even further, when seeing allows that is. I think I'm well on the slippery slope to a glassware addiction.

Archived