Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Ganymede's transit

Cate

I saw Jupiter for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but the conditions were bad and the high fine cloud didn't help either. Due to my shift pattern at work and bad weather for the last few weeks last night was the first time I got a realy decent view of Jupiter (6" Newt).

It was amazing. I could clearly see the 2 equatorial bands and the colour and texture differences between them. Three of the moons were visible, but even better than that was the enormous shadow of Ganymede. I couldn't believe how big it appeared as I thought it would be just a tiny speck that you had to strain to see.

I also convinced myself that I could see 2 bands either side of the Eq bands, nearer each pole. They seemed clear to me but I've not really seen people talking about them much - were my eyes tricking me or did I see them?

Sounds like you had a great night!! There are bands either side of the 2 large red ones but they can get washed out because Jupiter is very low in the sky this year and hard to spot, in better years they are very obvious.

The transits really are something else, arn't they??? :thumbright:

Congrats on finally getting a good view of Jupiter and seeing the shadow transit.. what a night! :) I agree with Gaz about things not looking their best right now because of Jupiter's low altitude. The outer belts look a LOT better when the planet is higher (the dark strips are 'belts' and the light strips are 'zones').

Take a look at the Jupiter sketch on the BAA Jupiter page. Squint your eyes a bit and see if the belts north and south of the equatorial ones look anything like you saw. Btw, there's lots of good stuff in the Jupiter section. :lol:

..... even better than that was the enormous shadow of Ganymede. I couldn't believe how big it appeared as I thought it would be just a tiny speck that you had to strain to see.

Nice report Cate :)

I saw that shadow transit as well - thanks for identifying it as Ganymede - saved me having to look up which one it was.

I could, ocasionally, just make out a couple of other belts as well as the main equatorial ones but they were very ellusive last night. This was with my 4 inch refractor.

I keep imagining just how good Jupiter is going to look in a few years time when it is better positioned for us :lol:

John

The BAA site looks brilliant, I will have to spend some time on it.

Jupiter is pretty high in the sky for me mid evening, though not overhead. Is it the same for the UK or is it possilby because I am closer to the equator (New Zealand)?

I tried again last night but could only see the 2 main belts before the cloud rolled in.

Wow, I didn't know you were in the southern hemisphere, Cate.. Jupiter sure is high for you! :)

According to the database in my Sky Tools program, Jupiter is almost 79° above the horizon in Sydney, Australia.

Where I am in the USA it's only 22° and in London it's a whopping 16°. :crybaby:

In the UK Jupiter is rather low down on the southern horizon as Talitha says :)

I'm pleased just to be able to get glimpses of it between houses and trees - I'm about the same latitude as London but 120 miles further west.

Not to worry - it will get better in future years :-)

John

I live just North of London and Jupiter just about gets over the roof of my neighbour's house. Had a great view of the 'big one' last night. At x280 could make out two reddish belts south of equator. Rest was a bit blurry. 3 moons visible in my ep (Ganymede, Io, Callisto).

Stef

Archived