NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Look through my telescope

Last night was the first night since getting my telescope that the clouds were gone, I managed to focus on a star using the viewfinder but when I viewed through the main telescope the image was rather like a polo mint shape, it was spherical but it had a black centre, am I doing something wrong as when I focused on another it was the same, as I said Im pretty green in this field so I hope it is something Im not doing correct that is the problem. While Im here may I ask about the Barlow lens, the one that doubles the strenght of the telescope, is this something that I should invest in sooner rather than later?

Your description seems to indicate pretty clearly that you didn't actually achieve focus but were viewing the 'intra' or 'extra' Airy disk of your chosen star.

What sort of telescope is it, Newtonian, Refractor, SCT? It could be that you have left a piece out of the optical path that is not allowing you to reach focus.

A Barlow is always a good investment as it essentially doubles your eyepiece collection but I would ensure that you resolve your current problem first before buying more kit!

Steppenwolf I have a

Meade ETX 125 CE not sure what kind it is, I bought it used, when I used it for terrestial viewing I did not get the polo shape but last night what I was seeing just did not seem like what I should be seeing if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense Piper. The stars are a lot further away so you need to twiddle the focus knob so that the polo mint shrinks and becomes a point of light, then you have focused the 'scope. You will then see dozens more stars than you think possible, its awesome when you get your first proper go at it.

Kaptain klevtsov

Kaptain I did focus out and the star became much smaller and spherical and very bright, as you said I also saw a few more around about it, was I expecting to see to much, sounds like I was, as I dont know what I was looking at Im guessing it must have been so far away that this was all I would see of it, can I expect better views once I figure out where the planets in our own solar system are located?

All the stars are so far away that even the Hubble 'scope sees them as points of light. You won't see them as other than tiny dots in any 'scope.

What you can see though are nebulae, so named because they look like clouds, check out the Dumbbell nebula, thats good in summer.

Stellarium is a free downloadable bit of software that shows you where all the stuff is.

Kaptain klevtsov

KK is right Piper. We all expect to see "Hubble type" images the first time we look through a 'scope.

Download Stellarium as KK suggests and then pick out a couple of objects (nebulae or bright globular clusters) that are fairly high in the Sky at this time of year. Read your ETX125 instruction manual and align on North + a couple of bright stars. Then "GOTO" the nebula/ Glob of your choice. If you start with a low power eyepiece (the one that has the biggest focal length), get the object centred and then go to a higher magnification, you will be just gobsmacked at what you can see with your excellent 'scope. To ensure that you know what your object of choice looks like, Google its name and the internet will bring up plenty of sites with pictures of it - it always helps to have some idea of what you are looking for, especially when just starting out.

You have done the right thing by joining this Forum lots of friendly and helpful people here - so keep asking questions.

Cheers

Tom

Many many thanks for the info, as I bought the scope used there was not a CD Rom with it, there are instructions though, although I find it easier to follow instructions on a DVD than reading the instructions with it, another good investment I think when I get around to ordering it, my goodness my list of needs grow daily LOL I look forward to the time when I fully understand what Im doing and can then enjoy stargazing.

I've got the etx 90, which is just a smaller version of your scope. That was just focusing problem you had. Its a nice scope with really good optics and is very good for planetary and lunar observing especially with a decent eye-piece. (Hyperions seem to work very well with this type of scope)

The darker nights will make a big difference in what you can see through it. If you have any problems feel free to PM me and I'll help in any way I can.

Heres a handy site for etx stuff

http://www.astro-engineering.com/

Casas many thanx for the advice and link, there seems to be so much to read on the net regarding astronomy, its mindboggling. Im sure I shall get there eventually, as they say practise makes perfect. I shall check out Hyperions as suggested by you.

It is a steep learning curve but one that is highly enjoyable. My first year was a bit of a struggle but the last year with the scope was a pure delight. (Apart from the times that I had some feline "help")

Roll on the darker nights

Archived