NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Capturing Solar Prominece's

MarkyD

Just a quick question.  At what Exposure/f stop/ISO etc do people use to capture the prominence's.  All I can find is information on capturing solar eclipses which is roughly ISO 100, f5.6 at 1/2000 or thereabouts.  Would these settings work for a full disk.  Obviously the disk would be well over exposed but I can expose for the disk and combine the images.

I'm using a Baader filter on a SW 200P-DS with a Canon 1D MKIII.  I am thinking of acquiring a Lunt Herschel Wedge for my 102SLT at some stage when my wallet lets me at a later date :)

As above. You need a Ha setup to see prominences and other surface chromosphere details. A herschel wedge allows views of spots among other things in the photosphere. The chromosphere is so faint you look straight through it when observing the brighter photosphere.

Neither.  You need an etalon,  an energy rejection filter and a blocking filter in the purpose made diagonal. A cheap complete entry level scope is a coronado pst or lunt 35mm. Used around £350-450. Its great fun but don't cut corners with solar.

As above, you need a dedicated Ha solar scope to see proms and filaments. You can use some normal refractors with a Quark Ha electronic eyepiece, but you may also have to fit an additional energy rejection filter on the front of the scope to prevent heat build up inside the scope.

Ha viewing or imaging isn't cheap, but it's very interesting, as unlike the Moon, the Sun is constantly changing with features that can evolve over minutes or hours.

I bought a Lunt LS50THa scope late last year. It was around £900, but felt it gave me the best compromise on cost, resolution and the ability to see the full disc on my camera sensor.

Here's a couple of shots from it.

sun2015_104.jpg

sun2015_106.jpg

Thanks guys for the information.  A HA solar scope is the way to go.  I have a QHY5L-II if the DLSR can't achieve focus.  Christmas can't come fast enough :)

@ArmyAirForce The shot with the plane silhouette is fantastic.  Was it planned or just luck?

Archived