NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which DSLR Modification?

I want to buy a modded DSLR but I'm not sure what type of mod I need, can someone help? I've read that the basic filter removal mod makes stars looked bloated, is there a way to stop that? What are my options and any recommendations?

It can be quite confusing. Many (most?) DSLRs have two filters in them, and often only a single one is only removed during the modding process. This prevents bloating problems when using refractors or camera lenses. It's the 'full spectrum' modded cameras that have problems unless a separate UV/IR block filter is used.

I can also recommend Cheap Astrophotography for modded Canons, the service includes re-shimming of the sensor for infinity focus with camera lenses.

As far as I understand it there are (at least ) 3 possibilities :
(A) Remove 2 filters to make a Full Spectrum mod. (needs other means to reduce IR bloat )
(B) Remove one of the filters to make an Astro mod with no bloat problem
(C) Remove one of the filters and replace with a Baader filter to make an Astro + Daylight mod, again no bloat problem and also regular daylight use is good.

For mainly astro use ( H, SII etc sensitivity ) (B) is OK, and would satisfy @bendiddley bloat question. But it needs a custom white balance   (for every shot?) in daylight use. *  for each different lighting type/condition in ordinary daily use, I think ??
So far so good ?  :) but then I get orribly confused as well because Juan on his site then mentions an anti-alias-filter removal and I dont know if that is yet another filter, and is it on only one type of camera (1100 ?) because he doesnt mention it on all of them.     So I am watching with interest !

*edit update

Hi Ben

This is the advice I got from Juan at Cheap Astrophotography when discussing my 100D purchase with him.

Your choice will depend on the type of equipment you will be using the camera with. For newtonian telescopes , the full spectrum mod may be the best option. If you intend to use the camera with refractors or camera lenses you will probably want a hot mirror removal to avoid star bloating, though.

However, if you have a light pollution filter such as the Astronomik CCD clip in filter (strongly recommended), then again this will provide protection against star bloating and the full spectrum mod may be again the best option.

So, with my refractor I ended up with the Hot Mirror removal and a CLS clip filter. Not sure what it all means in truth :-) , but if you use Cheap Astrophotography, Juan is very helpful and will take you through ll the options.

On 31/05/2016 at 12:59, SilverAstro said:

As far as I understand it there are (at least ) 3 possibilities :
(A) Remove 2 filters to make a Full Spectrum mod. (needs other means to reduce IR bloat )......

.....or shoot with with all mirror scope like a Newtonian

Archived