Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

noctilucent clouds 2016 season begins

The 2016 season for noctilucent clouds is underway. NASA's AIM spacecraft spotted them on May 24th, and they also have been seen recently from Milovaig on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. I have only managed 3 sightings ever and 2 images of these amazing nocturnal clouds, looking forward to a couple of months of interrupted sleep, every clear night!

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

Sadly, I'm yet to see them :( . Pete Lawrence will be a happy chappy :)

I had not seen any until July 2014, then again twice last summer. They are not as easy to spot as it sounds. They are easy to see if you are in the right place at the right time. The problem is the right time tends to be after 11:30pm and before 3:30am, which means not much sleep.

On 5/30/2016 at 20:49, bunnygod1 said:

I had not seen any until July 2014, then again twice last summer. They are not as easy to spot as it sounds. They are easy to see if you are in the right place at the right time. The problem is the right time tends to be after 11:30pm and before 3:30am, which means not much sleep.

perhaps I need to get up to Skye :D

11 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

The problem is the right time tends to be after 11:30pm and before 3:30am, which means not much sleep.

No chance of me ever getting to see them then :coffee:

Is there a website offering a heads up similar to aurora watch?

1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

No chance of me ever getting to see them then :coffee:

Is there a website offering a heads up similar to aurora watch?

I tend to use a couple of twitter feeds @space_clouds and @nlcnet are a couple I use. They both have websites as well. Predicting is little hit and miss though.

Archived