Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gamma Cygni nebula - Sadr region

Ishan Mair

Summer is in full flow here. Got a chance to capture some photons before the mercury soared high. Got the Gamma Cygni nebula IC1318. Not the most suitable target for my unmodded Canon 1100D but gave it a shot. Tricky processing with LP and faint reds. Spent almost half the time doing ABE & DBE.

18 x 3 min Lights, Darks, Flats, Bias. ISO 400.
Scope : Skywatcher 130PDS. Mount : HEQ5 Pro.
Stacked & Processed in Pixinsight.

Sadr_Region.jpg

Nice image. It's a difficult target if you don't have a camera that is sensitive to Ha.

I love the star colours in your image, but I wonder if you have used noise reduction? The background looks blotchy and I have found this to commonly occur when doing noise reduction in PI. Sometimes using a 50 % gray mask during noise reduction helps to lessen this effect.

Thank you guys.

19 hours ago, wimvb said:

Nice image. It's a difficult target if you don't have a camera that is sensitive to Ha.

I love the star colours in your image, but I wonder if you have used noise reduction? The background looks blotchy and I have found this to commonly occur when doing noise reduction in PI. Sometimes using a 50 % gray mask during noise reduction helps to lessen this effect.

Looking at the image again, I think I've gone too far with NR.  I thought it looked smooth. But it has become blotchy. I used masks, but probably too much strength in nr. A reprocess is on the cards.

14 hours ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Nice image. Cygnus is one of favourite areas of the sky. I am looking forward to catching some photons from this with my new CCD.

Cygnus certainly keeps CCDs busy !! Before this I never attempted any emission nebula. But this image encourages me to try NA & Pelican.

9 hours ago, Fay said:

Really nice Ishan, unmodded as well

Fay

1 hour ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Yes I tried this with my modded Canon 1100d last year. After that it became a like a light hoover! :icon_biggrin:

Worth considering and not too costly....

I'm scared to DIY mod anything after a (IMHO) not so successful tune-up of my  mount. :icon_biggrin: Also, with the hot climate here, I'm inclined towards to take a big leap to mono CCD. If finances for a better focuser, mount etc. for that aren't manageable, I'll live happily with a modded and maybe cooled dslr.

58 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Nice to see that this target is on the up again ...... How I miss the summer season!!! You've done a good job for sure :)

Thanks Sara. Its already up at midnight I think. And here I long for the winter.:crybaby2:

Archived