NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi all, So ive been looking for a long while now at upgrading from a SW Explorer 130p to a Skywatcher explorer 200p with the eq5 goto.

My main interest would like to be exploring DSO's  visually maybe imaging them, Ive just only managed to find the easier ones (Andromeda, Orion nebula and the 2 of the other nebula in that constellation.) Since then and now orions moved past viewing time ive moved to imaging the moon and Jupiter ( I use a Canon 100D) Is this scope and mount setup a good allrounder for my still undecided focus? Also with my 130p i needed a barlow to achieve focus, will that still be required on the 200p? i Think a Truss will always be too big for the space i have (Untill my children move out and they are 1 and 4 so its not going to be soon)

I've been using a 200p on an eq5 for imaging for the past 2 years and it's do-able as long as there is no wind and it's very carefully balanced.

You won't need a Barlow to achieve focus with a DSLR. 

7 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I've been using a 200p on an eq5 for imaging for the past 2 years and it's do-able as long as there is no wind and it's very carefully balanced.

You won't need a Barlow to achieve focus with a DSLR. 

Do you tend to move the counterweight when you switch from visual to imaging? My camera isnt too large and if i dont stick a battery pack on it then im hoping that ill be okay.

7 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

My 200PDS is a handful for my HEQ5Pro if there's a breath of wind , fine for visual but a right 'mare imaging-wise for long exposures .

I have read its at the limit of the mounts capability. I do have the option of miving further down the garden to a rather mre sheltered spot. Only problem is its on grass and quite uneven.

23 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I don't do visual, only imaging so I don't need to make many adjustments when setting up.

Of course. 

One question. How does the camera fit to the scope? Is there a 40mm thread on the scope for a t-ring or will I need a t-thread to 1 1/4" collet? 

The focuser splits in half to take 1.25 inch and 2 inch eyepiece's. 

Unscrew the 1.25 inch then screw the 2 inch adapter onto your t-ring

Or if your using a coma corrector then just slide it into the 2 inch adapter. 

I would take photos but I'm currently at work. If you haven't figured it out by the time I get home I'll take some.

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

The focuser splits in half to take 1.25 inch and 2 inch eyepiece's. 

Unscrew the 1.25 inch then screw the 2 inch adapter onto your t-ring

Or if your using a coma corrector then just slide it into the 2 inch adapter. 

I would take photos but I'm currently at work. If you haven't figured it out by the time I get home I'll take some.

I think i get you. I wasnt sure if id need This to connect the camera to the focuser via a T-ring.

32 minutes ago, Danny83uk said:

I think i get you. I wasnt sure if id need This to connect the camera to the focuser via a T-ring.

No you don't. The only adapter you'll need is either a standard t-ring or if you are using a coma corrector then you'll need an m48 t-ring 

19 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

No you don't. The only adapter you'll need is either a standard t-ring or if you are using a coma corrector then you'll need an m48 t-ring 

Ive got the T-Ring that fits my Canon and then has the thread on the otherside. Ive been using it to go into the barlow i needed to obtain focus on my 130p

1 hour ago, Danny83uk said:

Ive got the T-Ring that fits my Canon and then has the thread on the otherside. Ive been using it to go into the barlow i needed to obtain focus on my 130p

That's the standard t-ring and will screw straight onto the 2 inch eyepiece slot

3 hours ago, Danny83uk said:

I just noticed in the description it states a polar alignment scope holder. Does that mean it's not built in and I'll need to buy one or is it just a wording thing

It may just be It wording thing as my eq5 came with a polar scope.

The only way to be sure would be to email them and ask

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

It may just be It wording thing as my eq5 came with a polar scope.

The only way to be sure would be to email them and ask

I did, but was out of office hours. So headed here :D

ive heard back. So just for reference:

Reply from first light:
The Eq5 mounts do now come with the polar scope fitted, this is recently new for these mounts 

Hope that's of help

Archived