Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I had to say good bye to Jupiter last night

Last night was the last time I'll probably see Jupiter for many months. It's sad. I live in a townhome. I have a small area of sky in my backyard that spans from the north to the south. It only covers maybe 30 degreesof the sky. My house blocks the east and tall trees block the west. Jupiter was disappearing behind the trees by 9:30 last night. Twilight hadn't fully ended. 

I really enjoyed looking at Jupiter a lot for the last few months because of the changing positions of the Jovian moons. With bins, I think Jupiter and its moons make Jupiter the best planet to view. I can't split the rings from Saturn so it looks a little like an egg.

Jupiter's moons are indeed great to view - changing positions, occultations, and transits.  Sad to lose a prime target for a while.

I haven't seen much detail on Saturn either, mainly because it's always been too low from here.  And I have a narrow physical window owing to trees and buildings, so I always check Stellarium to see what's in range.

Doug.

Archived