I was just informed of the meaning of the word kit. I am building one I guess, so I thought I would start a thread here.

I just returned an ieq30p for an iEQ45p, and an again in limbo until it gets here. So, what I have so far is the explore scientific 127mm f/7.5 apochromatic  EDMD triplet refractor. It was too unstable on the ieq30p.

SCOPE:

Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 Apochromatic  ED triplet refractor. 952mm fl.

FINDER:

Telrad

MOUNT:

iOptron iEQ45 Pro on 2" iOptron tripod  (coming)

EP's: 

2" 20mm Meade series 5000 UWF at 82 AFV.

1-1/4" 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX 

1-1/4" 6mm Celestron cheapie 

1-1/4" 2X mediocre Celestron barlow (thinking about a 2")

FILTERS:

1-1/4" neutral density 13% moon filter 

2" O-III ordering this week,  just need to decide on affordable quality brand.

If you do wind up getting one like you pictured, I suggest you look for one like the one I have posted. Take a look at the difference in the front-legs. See how, in mine, the legs are curved? This is so when you have weight on it, and you are on some soft ground, the front-legs won't sink into the ground and put you off-balance.

You can also make one yourself - many folks' do. And I'll second Patrick. Many people use drummers' stools and/or ironing-chairs.

It's interesting that often people overlook having one of these things - until they spend a night standing-up in the freezing cold! :D

Dave

Vestil-CPRO-600-2.jpg

If you're in an observatory, a hydraulic swivel chair is ideal and can be picked up second-hand much cheaper than specially designed observing chairs. In the field I've found that chairs are just more clutter to cart around and constantly readjust, so i just use a tall tripod and rotate my diagonal to a comfortable angle. 

Mike

11 minutes ago, iPeace said:

first_dutch_light_tv85.jpg

Got mine years ago at IKEA. Swivels, height adjustable and very comfy. Can't vouch for current quality or availability, though...

. Yes, a drummer chair would be best maybe. Only concern is they might not screw up (no pun intended) far enough. Also, at near zenith it wouldn't screw down far enough? I'll have to check to see how low EP is on new mount with the 4 foot frac pointed upwards. Long scopes have larger vertical EP movement  compared to the CAT i had. I'll look at stools again. You probably saved me 100 bucks. Maybe even Craigslist will have one

Thanks for all the advice. Just ordered a 35 dollar adjustable drummers stool. If it doesn't work out it's better than paying $150 for a big Goliath long thing to haul around. tick toc tick toc.... I think they're going to ship my Mount out of California so that's a plus. I think the stool and the scope mount should arrive about the same time.

Just now, View2 said:

. Yes, a drummer chair would be best maybe. Only concern is they might not screw up (no pun intended) far enough. Also, at near zenith it wouldn't screw down far enough? I'll have to check to see how low EP is on new mount with the 4 foot frac pointed upwards. Long scopes have larger vertical EP movement  compared to the CAT i had. I'll look at stools again. You probably saved me 100 bucks. Maybe even Craigslist will have one

This model is height adjustable without turning. It has three large buttons on the underside of the seat. Stand up just far enough to get your weight off, squeeze two of the three buttons and the stool rises with a hissing sound. Squeeze the buttons while sitting and the stool goes down. You can get pretty high and low with it, it's perfect for me (I'm 6 ft. tall).

Archived