NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

replacement focuser for skywatcher dob

Hi

My skywatcher 150p has a terrible amount of movement in the focuser when racking it, I have tried lining the tube with a foam rubber to tighten it up but it's still awful.  I don't want to spent £120 for a replacement.  I've  seen an unnamed brand crayford on ebay, wondering if anyone has any experience of this one, it looks good for £50 from China!  I'd have to be sure it will fit easily as well.  Just thought I'd ask. I am tempted to give it a try.  if hyperlinks are not allowed, I apologise!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191874414330?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any thoughts would be gratefully received

thanks

Dave

Hi,

sorry to hear your issues, but to be blunt don't bother with the one you linked too, Trust me it's cheap for a reason....

i replaced the focuser on my ST80 with one from Teleskop service in Germany, it was superb, only single speed but rock solid and only about €85, can  highly recommend them

here is a link to the same style I bought only mine was for a refractor.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p778_TS-2--Crayford-focuser-for-Newtonians-with-base-and-1-25--reducer.html

the dual speed version is €170 

hopw that helps a little

Bill

The TS one linked by RuralBill is a GSO and those are very nice indeed. I have a 1.25" single-speed for my Newtonian I just installed a week or so back. But the price from TS looks rather high to me. But that may reflect your awful VAT at play. Here are some other GSO (Guan Sheng Optics in Taiwan) focusers from over here:

http://agenaastro.com/parts-accessories/focusers-accessories/focusers.html

I agree with Bill - don't touch the eBay one. Likely junk. Nothing worse than a cheap GSO-counterfeit. That and the fact that should it blow up in your face, who can you call to complain? Having a solid company standing behind you is worth the somewhat higher cost of goods.

Have fun!

Dave

Thanks guys.  I have seen the teleskop service crayfords, and they are a bit pricey, this scope cost me £175!  I  was hoping for a basic but functional replacement at a better price than £100+. I'm not bothered about dual speed, even a r&P would be fine for me but just without the terrible amount of slop!  I can't even begin to check collimation as everything moves as soon as I rack the focuser a little.  It seems these things NEVER appear for sale used!!   agenaastro is U.S. based and I'm in the UK.  We get ripped off here!!

Thanks

Archived