NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help with stellarium please

hi all i have eq5 goto mount pc running vista i have installed stellarium gone through all the configeration but cannot get the scope crosshair to apear on the screen even though it is connected in the connfigeration box 

and pressing alt and the number of your scope does nothing.

it appeared there once but the scope still would not move then once it moved the scope but the goto controller kept flickering beteween press escape and the slewing coordinates ...

i have tried many times now but t o no avail  would be great if i could get this sorted as iam still learning the stars etc it would be a big help   

thanks all lee 

i have but i dont understand it much i will have to figure it out if thats part of my problem  thanks 

i normally figure things out if someone tells . me where to look so i will have a play with stellarium scope 

Now you need to tell stellarium you have a scope. It's under settings and plugins. Once you tell it you have a scope, you need to restart stellarium.

I think this might be what you are missing.

9 hours ago, JemC said:

Have you installed Stellarium Scope as well ? you need to install this for telescope control,:happy7:

No you do not need stellariumscope to control the telescope. Stellarium has its own mount drivers.

Have you put it in the right comport?

I had the exact same problem and then found out it was in the wrong comport

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

You could post this issue on the Stellarium website. As well as looking there to see if anyone else has asked about this. Here's the main screen:

http://www.stellarium.org/

And here's a place to look about for similar queries:

https://answers.launchpad.net/stellarium

Hope it helps -

Dave

just had a quick look on that forum someone has asked the exact question as me but its had no answers lol [removed word] ! 

7 hours ago, Galatic Wanderer said:

No you do not need stellariumscope to control the telescope. Stellarium has its own mount drivers.

Apologies,
I assume it has been modified/updated then, last time i used it for scope control i needed Stellarium scope as well (it was a while ago)

James

5 minutes ago, JemC said:

Apologies,
I assume it has been modified/updated then, last time i used it for scope control i needed Stellarium scope as well (it was a while ago)

James

You only required Stellariumscope if you are going to control the mount through some third party software such as EQMOD or ASCOM mount drivers. 

ok thanks for the replies

starting with the r32 cable i bought new from a rother vally optics at twice the price of the cheap ebay ones so can only hope that is not the problem

i have checked the com port setting its is defo com port 4 on mine as it wont connect on any other .

i read your post galatic  your problem is very similar to mine but mine is not the com port isue

i have installed stelliarium scope  and also reinstalled stelliarium just to see if that was the problem  like i said in the configeration my scope is connected but just not working lol

and having pc mode on the goto handset on or  off makes no difference

can i set the scope up in the garage or outside in the day and try to figure out the problem or does the scope need to be polar aligned at night before connecting to stelliairum as a kind of a practice session ?

A brief how-to on getting Stellarium to control a goto mount

Controlling a telescope through Stellarium

1 If you using a USB/serial adapter to connect the serial data cable from the handset to the laptop check the Com port number Windows has assigned that device. Settings > Device Manager > Ports (Com&LPT).
TIP : Always plug the USB/serial adapter into the same USB port to maintain the Com port number.
2 Start Stellarium and go to Configuration (f2) and then Plugin-ins. Scroll down to Telescope Control and press the "load at startup" option.
3 Press the Configure button.
4 In the Telescopes tab option press the Add button. Select Stellarium, "directly through a serial port" for direct mount control via Stellarium. Press the "Start/connect at startup" in the Telescope properties box and then scroll down to select the correct Com port number. Select the correct mount make and type and then press OK.
5 In the Options tabs select the options required for labels etc.
6 Connect the handset to the laptop and mount and switch on. 
7 Polar align and do a normal star alignment and then restart Stellarium.

29 minutes ago, EASYLEE said:

ok thanks for the replies

starting with the r32 cable i bought new from a rother vally optics at twice the price of the cheap ebay ones so can only hope that is not the problem

i have checked the com port setting its is defo com port 4 on mine as it wont connect on any other .

i read your post galatic  your problem is very similar to mine but mine is not the com port isue

i have installed stelliarium scope  and also reinstalled stelliarium just to see if that was the problem  like i said in the configeration my scope is connected but just not working lol

and having pc mode on the goto handset on or  off makes no difference

can i set the scope up in the garage or outside in the day and try to figure out the problem or does the scope need to be polar aligned at night before connecting to stelliairum as a kind of a practice session ?

No need to polar align for a dummy run, just do a 1 star alignment and accept the alignment where the mount stops.

THANKS  for all the replies

thanks to

Cornelius Varley

for the instructions ,5,7,   dont seem to ring a bell with me so that could be where iam going wrong and restarting after polar alignment

also good to know i can set up in the day for a dummy run never crossed my mind to do a one star alignment !  thanks again will have a go when it actually stops raining here.

and will post back

thanks galatic i think i got all that bit right ....but do i drop the device model box down and select synscan goto for my mount i have an eq5 goto ?    i dont use the celestron nextsar   option do i ?   just checking

thanks all    lee

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 21:10, EASYLEE said:

THANKS  for all the replies

thanks to

Cornelius Varley

for the instructions ,5,7,   dont seem to ring a bell with me so that could be where iam going wrong and restarting after polar alignment

also good to know i can set up in the day for a dummy run never crossed my mind to do a one star alignment !  thanks again will have a go when it actually stops raining here.

and will post back

thanks galatic i think i got all that bit right ....but do i drop the device model box down and select synscan goto for my mount i have an eq5 goto ?    i dont use the celestron nextsar   option do i ?   just checking

thanks all    lee

yep, you drop device model down and choose your telescope model (in this case an synscan goto)

SEB

Archived