NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - lovely festoons

Stu

Just a quick session on the Moon and Jupiter this evening unfortunately, the seeing looked fairly stable. A couple of lovely festoons showing, largest I remember seeing for a while. They may well have headed for the limb now, hope others manage to catch them.

Hi Stu,

Doing the same thing and saw them too. Just saw a satelite cross the Moon's disc at 10.36 from left to right as viewed through my Dob. I suppose it is not possible to identify it? The seeing is pretty good and the Moon is beautiful and stable at 188X in the Bino's

Here the seeing is very good instead. Just got in after spending a nice time observing the Moon, Jupiter, the Double-Double and Izar. :)

I think I spot those two festoons and the large one seemed to be on the centre-West of NEB, if I am not wrong.. :icon_rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hi Stu,

Doing the same thing and saw them too. Just saw a satelite cross the Moon's disc at 10.36 from left to right as viewed through my Dob. I suppose it is not possible to identify it? The seeing is pretty good and the Moon is beautiful and stable at 188X in the Bino's

Whereabouts are you? This one passed close by from my location but could well have transmitted the moon from where you are?

The seeing did seem pretty good, I picked out three Plato craterlets, plus a few other well known features.

image.png

10 minutes ago, Piero said:

Here the seeing is very good instead. Just got in after spending a nice time observing the Moon, Jupiter, the Double-Double and Izar. :)

I think I spot those two festoons and the large one seemed to be on the centre-West of NEB, if I am not wrong.. :icon_rolleyes:

Hi Piero, yep that sounds about right! Nice one to get in the 60mm!

Hi Piero,

The seeing tonight has been pretty good, unfortunately clouds have just arrived so I am not sure at the moment if they are going to pass, It looks a fairly large amount.

I certainly hope so, this is too good to miss. :happy11:

7 hours ago, laudropb said:

Seeing here is very good. Caught the festoons Stu, so a happy session.

Nice one John, you seem to be getting a few more breaks with the weather which is great!!

11 hours ago, Saganite said:

Hi Stu,

About  2 miles south of Grafham Water

I had a check on roughly that location but it still seemed to miss the moon. You could probably check on Calsky which might be more accurate?

10 hours ago, laudropb said:

Certainly have Stu. 4 nights in a row with clear skies. Best run for over a year. Unfortunately cloudy this morning, but forecast to clear.

I admire your doggedness !

11 hours ago, laudropb said:

Certainly have Stu. 4 nights in a row with clear skies. Best run for over a year. Unfortunately cloudy this morning, but forecast to clear.

I'd be wiped out after two nights!!!  No stamina :)

Nice report and heads up, Stu!  Those festoons have been coming up frequently in reports lately. 

Archived