NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

finderscope bahtinov

bottletopburly

As you point out, it can be very difficult to make a classical Bahtinov mask for a small telescope. There are alternatives though, such as a Hartmann mask, or a "Y" mask. Search the internet for "focusing mask" and you will find plenty of ideas. Good luck!

Just focus it until the stars look small. PHD will work fine. In fact, It might even work a little better with slightly defocused stars. I am certainly at, or very close to, my mounts physical accuracy limit (.6" rms) with just a rough focus of my 200 mm fl guide scope with a QHY5guide camera :) 

Would have thought that really you are not too bothered by them being pin-sharp, you just want to find them. If small points or small dots/disks seems irrelevant. Also once a mask is on the finder you have to focus it on a bright star, then remove it and start locating objects and with you looking through it there is - I would say - a 100% chance that you will adjust the focus at least a little, people do that with eyepieces and focusers. In which case the original focus set up is lost.

If you to use the finder as a guide scope then there may be a use for one, but if the finder is for visual I would doubt it. As a visual you set the finder to correspond to your eyes which is likely not best focus for a sensor/imaging.

On 5/15/2016 at 08:09, bottletopburly said:

11 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Just focus it until the stars look small. PHD will work fine. In fact, It might even work a little better with slightly defocused stars. I am certainly at, or very close to, my mounts physical accuracy limit (.6" rms) with just a rough focus of my 200 mm fl guide scope with a QHY5guide camera :) 

On 5/15/2016 at 08:09, bottletopburly said:

Is it possible to make a bahtinov mask to fit a standard sw finderscope just looked on the bahtinov generator those are fine lines too cut ,has anyone made one before 

Sorry! I just assumed that it was for a finder-guider! My bad :)

Archived