Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 12/5/16

I've had some really awful seeing here for the last couple of weeks. Last night I noticed Mars just rising above my eastern horizon and thought I'd hang on for an hour or so in the hope of getting a reasonable view. My effort was rewarded with a 15 minute spell of near perfect seeing. The word perfect should be taken lightly, as at such a low angle, seeing is never perfect due to the earths atmosphere.

On view were the dark Syrtis Major and the giant impact basin Hellas on the limb, and looking as bright as a polar cap due to the mist captured within its walls. Extending from Hellas and Syrtis across the southern hemisphere, and sharply defined, were Tyrrhena and Hesperia. In the north was the tiniest hint of a bright polar cap that flickered in and out of view, and which was surrounded be the dark Vastitas Borealis. Elysium on the proceeding limb and Arabia on the following limb appeared bright as if cloud covered but this may have been due to contrast.

All in all it was worth the effort of waiting up when it seemed like the odds of getting anything like a reasonable view were stacked against me. Drawings were posted on the Sketching forum.

Mike :icon_cyclops_ani:

Very nice report Mike. I waited for Mars to rise last night as I thought the seeing was quite good after spending a good deal of time on Jupiter and the Moon. Unfortunately Mars was like a ball of jelly. Just too low in the sky from here I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived