Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focal Reducer for EdgeHD 8

Hi All,

Will keep this short, I am looking for alternatives to the celestron 0.7x FR which isn't cheap as compared to normal FR.

What other FR are available out there that I can take a look at?

Is Celestron FR really that good to be priced in that range?

Couple alternatives come to mind:

Optec has a range of focal reducers that might work (some of them designed for edge series, but Lepus for RC and ACF might work as well?)

IntesMicro has a couple (designed for MC and RC telescopes, but their specs states they are suitable for most things over F/9 - field curvature is not affected - this might mean they are ok for flat field scope like edge).

AstroPhysics CCDT67 - again designed for F/9 and slower (but works well with GSO RC - maybe ok for edge?)

Note - I don't own SCT (either edge nor regular version), nor have I ever tried any of these reducers - this is just research proposal based on their specs. There may be some reports of successful usage on the net.

Cheers guys...  Any UK suppliers by any chance? I'm looking to reduce the hell out of my scope if I can but don't want to cost an arm in doing so. I've seen people use different FRs so wanted to see if anyone knew specific for EdgeHD range.  All of the above look good but will see what others might have to suggest in this matter. 

Again,  are celestron reduces really that good? Or should I ask,  is it recommended to use a Celestron reducer as opposed to say Lepus or the Astrophysics one? 

When the edges first came out there was a lot of discussion on cloudy nights as the reducers weren't available at launch, the Lepus seemed to be the best of the bunch but all the non Celestron reducers were hypercritical with spacing.

The Celestron is so expensive because it is designed to keep the Edges flat field ...Allegedly :hmh:

Have you seen the price of the C11 reducer !

12 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers guys...  Any UK suppliers by any chance? I'm looking to reduce the hell out of my scope if I can but don't want to cost an arm in doing so. I've seen people use different FRs so wanted to see if anyone knew specific for EdgeHD range.  All of the above look good but will see what others might have to suggest in this matter. 

Again,  are celestron reduces really that good? Or should I ask,  is it recommended to use a Celestron reducer as opposed to say Lepus or the Astrophysics one? 

Ian King used to do some Optec stuff but don't know if he still does.

Dave

Lol knobby,  that's exactly what I'm talking about...  Silly priced... But the subsequent question is,  are they really "THAT" good? I'm more than happy to pay for the premium as long as it's miles better than other manufacturers. 

Cheers Davey-T,  i'll check with him tomorrow or whenever I research the hell out of the available options :)  

Archived