Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field Guide NGC/DSO Book Recommendation

I was out last night looking at the galaxies in Ursa Major, most of them being faint NGCs that don't really get mentioned in the same breath as M51 or M101. I saw about 25 in all which I identified using my Sky & Telescope pocket atlas. So far, so good. The problem is that I had no idea what I was actually looking at. It wasn't until I came inside that I could read about the nature of each one, what type it was, how far away it was, etc.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable book that I can use while outside that gives concise information about the most visible NGC objects?

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich, I don't know about any book giving concise information, but to supplement the Pocket Star Atlas I also use the Cambridge Double Star Atlas which I find quite useful for identification at least.

On 08/05/2016 at 14:31, rwilkey said:

Hi Rich, I don't know about any book giving concise information, but to supplement the Pocket Star Atlas I also use the Cambridge Double Star Atlas which I find quite useful for identification at least.

Thanks :) I've considering getting the Cambridge Double Star Atlas before but wasn't sure how much of a change it is from the S&T Pocket Star Atlas.

Mark Bratton's Herschel Objects is very good with a concise description of many NGC objects. I also use the Night Sky Observers Guide (NSOG), vols 1 and 2, which covers many NGCs with observing notes for various sized scopes. Whether you'd use either at the scope is up to you. In my case I prefer to keep them for pre/post observing so as not to damage them in the dew.

Martin

Another quite succinct book that I have found useful is the Concise Catalog of Deep-sky Objects, Astrophysical Information for 500 Galaxies, Clusters and Nebulae by W. H. Finlay (Springer, 2003).

Although not really a reference book, rather a collection of anecdotes, if you can find it you might enjoy Deep Sky Objects, the Best and Brightest from Four Decades of Comet Chasing by David H. Levey (Prometheus Books, 2005).

Michael Vlasov's internet pages have some good material too, including his Deepsky Guide and Atlas which can be downloaded free and printed out. http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-guide.html

I second the Night Sky Observer's Guide Vols 1 & 2.   Those are excellent references.   I use mine all the time.    I also use the Sky Atlas 2000.0 Companion.  It contains descriptions for all objects listed in the Sky Atlas 2000.0 (2,700 objects).   If you use the Pocket Sky Atlas, about 99%  of DSO's listed in it are in this guide.

Another DSO guide out there which I haven't seen is the Urano Metria 2000.0 Deep Sky Field Guide.   This one will contain the most objects.    This costs about the same as NSOG Vols 1 & 2.    The Sky Atlas 2000.0 Companion is about one third the price of the others.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Archived