NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Basic Dob questions from a total newb

Just got the XT8 Plus and have a few basic questions:

1. When storing, is it ok to have the scope pointed upward? I thought I read somewhere that pointing down is better.

2. When observing, do I need to be paranoid about stray leaves and other debris falling into the scope? Seems inevitable...

3. Is it ok to just slap the Telrad finder onto the scope wherever I think works best for me?

4. Other basics I need to know?

Thanks!

Most seem to store then upwards, it is simply easiest. Gravity will cause dust to fall towards the mirror but it is very slight and very slow, put the cover on it while stored. Almost any way you store one can have problems if you think about it.

Chances of leaves etc falling in are really minimal, don't worry they are big enough to be picked out. Been a few recent posts andout worse getting in and going down, the fruit bat managing a bullseye seemed the worst (most amusing) one. Person said not to laugh but I am betting everyone did. Your main problem could be pollen, pollen can be prevelant and if it gets on the mirror it sticks a bit and it decomposses so avoid being close to a tree to reduce that.

As I recall yes you put the telrad at the best place for you, just check that whatever that is does not interfere with anything else. Say this as logically everything would be at the most convenient place for you so all in one place. Something has to give.

I always store my scope pointing upwards, much easier to store that way and less chance of it being knocked by anyone passing by. I've never had anything fall down the tube, you'll inevitably collect a little bit of dust over a very long time, but I'd imagine you'd only be in danger of leaves if you were using it on a windy autumn night, unlikely as you'll be getting a bit of wobble on your view from the wind, or have the scope positioned under a tree, which you won't because you can't see the sky then.

After use I leave mine pointing down wards so that any condensation will not run onto the primary mirror. The next morning I return it to an upright position, cap it and store itinerary cover.

Placement of the Telrad is really up to yourself, but it is normally put some where near to the eyepiece for convenience of viewing.

Put the Telrad as far up the tube as possible since you have to get under/behind it to see the circles on the sky.  Most folks put it about 45 degrees away from the focuser (an eighth of the circumference) on larger tubes, and up to 90 degrees (quarter of the way around) on smaller tubes.  Attach it with a big rubber bands or removable tape first and move it around until you feel comfortable with its position.  After you're sure you like where it is, either drill holes or use permanent double sided tape strips to permanently attach it.

On May 6, 2016 at 02:11, laudropb said:

After use I leave mine pointing down wards so that any condensation will not run onto the primary mirror. The next morning I return it to an upright position, cap it and store itinerary cover.

Placement of the Telrad is really up to yourself, but it is normally put some where near to the eyepiece for convenience of viewing.

When I remove the scope from the base (to transport to my backyard) is it ok to stand the scope so that it stands straight up without being in the base?

It's just rather unstable in that configuration and would be quite easy to knock it over, possibly damaging something.  My dob tube has a square box around the center with the bearing circles attached to it.  There's a handle on the top and four nylon feet on the bottom, so it's easy to set it down safely on the ground.  It's unfortunate if yours doesn't have something similar.

13 hours ago, Louis D said:

It's just rather unstable in that configuration and would be quite easy to knock it over, possibly damaging something.  My dob tube has a square box around the center with the bearing circles attached to it.  There's a handle on the top and four nylon feet on the bottom, so it's easy to set it down safely on the ground.  It's unfortunate if yours doesn't have something similar.

Unfortunately mine has nothing like that!

Archived