Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 Bursting with HA

pyrasanth

I continue to work on the M101 image. I've added the HA layer. I'm working on a way to add the stars without getting them washed out. I'm experimenting. Let me know your thoughts with the current image. I'm surprised as to how much HA is in the image- its really glowing. I've had to compromise a bit on the background as the RGB is still very dirty-it needs more subs. I won't balance the colours until I've finished the star layer.

M101_LRGB-HA.png

I found that the best way to get the stars into the image was to directly inject them into the image using Pixelmath in PixInsight which works well.  I need to get another nice bright star layer which I'm working on capturing tonight if the weather holds.

M101-RGB-STARS-ADDED.png

11 hours ago, nucdoc said:

Amazing image, very nice colours, can hardly wait to see it with the stars!

Thanks- see the LRGB image I've just posted. I will try & produce a Hybrid of the 2 or at least the star elements. This is difficult as the RED/HA kills the RGB colour star saturation but I'm working on it!

I've now put the blend together with the RGB stars. This was a pig to complete.

The technique for anybody interested is to produce a mask in Photoshop of the stars. Pass the mask to Pixinsight & perform a convolution to round out the jagged edges of the star mask & produce a nice feather. This can then be used as a layer mask over the top of your original image where the mask was created then the saturation can be boosted on the stars only thus keeping the colour & blasting through the red HA saturation.

Finished-HA-LRGB-combination.png

Archived