Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First view of Jupiter, Finally.

Ferox

Looked out the window at 12:30 am just before going to bed last night and the sky was reasonably clear. Quickly got the scope set up on the front door step, (only place I can see Jupiter :D ) no time for polar alignment or cool down. Looked through the ep and WOW! :grin::lol: There it was complete with two easily visible bands and three moons. Amazing view, can't wait for next opportunity.

Hi Paul,

Yes that was with the Skymax 127.

I was using a 21mm hyperion and got a crisp sharp view 8) , then tried the 8mm hyperion but the high cloud had rolled in so struggled to get any view. :grin:

Wasn't sure exactly what to expect so I don't know if that was a particularly good view or not. The two bands were very clear and quite sharply defined.

Don't seem to be able to go far wrong with the Mak and hyperions, very pleased with them. :lol:

I could see the 2 equatorial cloud bands and 4 moons clearly with my ST80 refractor the other night at 80x. Nice to see Jupiter again but a pity it's so badly placed at the present time.

John

Hi Paul,

Yes that was with the Skymax 127.

I was using a 21mm hyperion and got a crisp sharp view 8) , then tried the 8mm hyperion but the high cloud had rolled in so struggled to get any view. :grin:

Wasn't sure exactly what to expect so I don't know if that was a particularly good view or not. The two bands were very clear and quite sharply defined.

Don't seem to be able to go far wrong with the Mak and hyperions, very pleased with them. :lol:

Hi Ferox

Thanks for the info.

That combo gets a good thumbs up by a few people.

Hyperions are quite expensive but worth the outlay.

Paul

Yes, I've caught Jupiter several times with my little 90mm Skywatcher Mak - using an 18mm orthoscopic (and with my photo tripod extended to max - as the planet is only 14 degrees up). Views were nice, so Paul's 127 must be great!

I not been able to get my 200mm Newt, or the Tal100Rs on the job as Jupiter is just moving along the roof tops of ajacent houses from my back garden.

Glad some of you were able to get good views in.

regards,

philsail1

Excellent stuff, Ferox. I saw it last night with two moons each side of the planet and a couple of equatorial belts on the disk.

Would like to image it, but I suspect that will be a let-down due to the altitude.

Got to stick around until 2010 for a decent imaging opportunity, unfortunately.

Still looks good, though.

Archived