Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Possible to try EAA with QHY5ii mono?

Andyb90

Hi Andy

I don't know if there is any specific software for you to use, however you could try Deep Sky Stacker Live - just set up your favourite capture program to store captures in a folder and point DSS Live at this folder to stack on the fly. You'll need to change the folder and reset DSS Live for each new object but you should be able to process images in real time this way.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/live.htm

I think that Sharpcap has stacking and basic processing options and works with a wide range of cameras including the QHY family.

http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/features/live-stacking

Nytecam has also carried out EAA for some time using the basic capture program supplied with the Lodestar - setting up quick/automatic processing of the image without stacking.

Let us know how you get on.

HTH 

Paul

Thanks for the advice DoctorD. The SharpCap website lists 'QHY 5, 5II' so hopefully it will work. Will download the software and see if I can get an image with just the camera connected to the laptop to start with. If that works I'll give it a go with my 80mm scope and try DSS Live.

Andy.

Hi andy, I have the colour qhy5l11 and I use sharpcap,,I had problems with the drivers,,win 7,, when I first got it,couldn't get focus on scope or the orion mini guide scope,,to say it was driving me mental would be an understatement,,,I saw they done updated drivers and reinstalled and it works great with sharpcap 2.8...I found focus still a chore on the guider,,only glad it works,lol

I've recently dipped my toe into the EAA world with my old original QHY5' using QGVideo software. I was able to pick out the Cresent Nebula, Hercules Globular Cluster, the Leo Triplet and even a Hickson galaxy group :)

your more recent qhy5 should be able to get you started somewhere.

I downloaded SharpCap last night and it connected to the camera without any problems, so that was a very good start.

I started the capture and could see an image was produced by covering and uncovering the camera sensor.

As I already had my 10 inch Dob set-up for some observing I connected the camera to it. It didn't take too long to get focus and I was able to get Jupiter up on screen. With a bit of tweaking to the exposure and gain settings the video wasn't too bad. I could clearly see some detail on the planet and the moons.

I didn't try the Live stack feature as I've got no tracking with the Dob.

I'll setup the 80ED on my HEQ5 next and have a go at stacking. I've also got a 6 inch Dob, so I'm thinking of trying to mount the OTA on the HEQ5 as well.

All in all very pleased with the way everything worked.

Andy.

Hi Andy

Welcome to the wonderful world of Video Astronomy & EAA - it will be interesting to see how you get on with Sharpcap and longer exposures with your QHY5ii.

Please post some screen grabs when you get a chance.

You might also want to consider investing in a 1.25" reducer to give you an even faster system.

CS

Paul

Just put the details of my 80ED scope and QHY5ii into the Astronomy Tools FOV calculator.

I picked M51 as an example and the FOV looks pretty good. Galaxy looks like it would be a good size.

I've also had some difficulties in getting the focus correct with the QHY5ii before. In the end I got a digital vernier caliper and measured distance when I got the focus just right. So I can use the measurement each time I setup.

Andy.

Hi Andy

Although the FoV looks good, you might find that at F7.5 you're limited to the very bright DSO's - a x0.5 1.25" reducer will make a big difference to what you can capture at 30s. Mind you this should not stop you trying at F7.5 - there's still a lot of objects that will be within your grasp.

CS

Paul

Should have explained my 80mm ED is an Altair Astro Lightwave at f6.25. I use an 0.8x reducer for f5, so hopefully that will give me a chance of capturing some DSOs.

Andy.

Archived