NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fuzzies

g30rg313

Whilst waiting for my scope to cool and for the sky to darken enough tonight I thought I would begin by taking a good long look at Jupiter again.  Just can't seem to get enough of that planet.  Jupiter seemed very clear tonight and I could see three bands very clearly and the disc was very bright.  Next I moved onto searching for a few galaxies and clusters.  I could only fit in an hour or so observing, so I didn't do too badly.  I managed M3,  M53, Hercules Cluster and my favourite Bodes.  I also took a quick look at Algieba.  I have to say that so far my favourite fuzzy is still the cigar galaxy.  Also folks, on a side note, I'm getting better at aligning my scope.  It just shows that practice makes perfect.  Hope everybody else got some great viewing in tonight.

Nice one Georgie. Shame you had to pack up, the GRS is visible now and looking good but it sounds like you had a good session.

I agree about the Cigar Galaxy, M82. It shows very nice detail under good conditions and I find it more rewarding than M81.

I was looking at M82 last night.....couldn't take my eye away! Mind you, it only came third this time, behind the needle galaxy, with its long arms and clear dust lane and m51, which was starting to show hints of spiral arms. Sounds great for just an hour though!

9 minutes ago, Joe12345 said:

I was looking at M82 last night.....couldn't take my eye away! Mind you, it only came third this time, behind the needle galaxy, with its long arms and clear dust lane and m51, which was starting to show hints of spiral arms. Sounds great for just an hour though!

The Needle is brilliant under good skies isn't it?

Well I went fuzzy hunting again tonight.  Finally saw the whirlpool galaxy :) still like cigar galaxy the best so far though.  Whilst I was hunting around the skies tonight I happened across Almach.  Oh wow!  It's beautiful!  That's another sight I'll definitely be visiting again.  I wonder if it's even half as spellbinding through bins?  

A good night for fuzzies here to.  Also looked at the whirlpool galaxy although it's faint and diffuse in the 80mm refractor.  The Sunflower Galaxy and M94 are much brighter to observe though, in the general vicinity.  Good to here your enjoying the sights !

andrew

Archived