Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edge HD 8 on Evolution mount

Just taken delivery of a lovely 8 inch Edge which sits nicely on the Evolution mount - thanks to Stu for helping me make a decision. It's certainly a handsome telescope. 

Opinions seem to be split on whether the Edge offers any visual advantages over the standard C8 on axis ( I suspect it doesn't if you're comparing it with a well collimated C8 - though there are some lofty claims made for the optics on CN). Instead, you're paying for better control of aberrations to the edge of the field, faster cool down times, tighter alignment tolerances (according to Celestron) and a couple of other features. And of course it's designed for imaging.

But here's the thing - the difference between a standard C8 and an Edge 8 is £280-£300 - quite a jump, though one I think does offer value for money - but go up to the 9.25 Edge and you pay a premium of over £1500, while the 11 inch Edge is £2600 more expensive than the regular C11......!!

Anyway, I'm hoping this is a telescope I'll keep and enjoy for life.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great scope , you'll love it ! M13 and Jupiter both looked great through mine last night .

Beauty of the way it sits on your mount is the vent is at the top so point it down about 45° and leave the warm air to escape for about an hour for a nice tube current free C8.

1 hour ago, Tyson M said:

Looks like a keeper. Many with the 8" Edge say its perfect blend at doing everything. Congrats! 

Thanks Tyson

13 minutes ago, knobby said:

Great scope , you'll love it ! M13 and Jupiter both looked great through mine last night .

Beauty of the way it sits on your mount is the vent is at the top so point it down about 45° and leave the warm air to escape for about an hour for a nice tube current free C8.

Good point knobby, hadn't considered that.

I have got the CPC 800 HD. This scope is totally different to the standard CPC.

It is about £450 dearer . I found the scope needed  to be collimated.  Worth the

extra money.  I sold my C11 after getting this. You will love using it. A heated

dew shield is a must ,with this scope  . More money to spend.

1 hour ago, Grotemobile said:

I have got the CPC 800 HD. This scope is totally different to the standard CPC.

It is about £450 dearer . I found the scope needed  to be collimated.  Worth the

extra money.  I sold my C11 after getting this. You will love using it. A heated

dew shield is a must ,with this scope  . More money to spend.

A timely comment Steve - just had a quick test outside and mine needs collimating too. 

Archived