Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What dovetail option to mount Celestron 8” SCT to NEQ6

Hi,

I am looking for advice from the great collective on what dovetail to use when mounting my Celestron 8” SCT to an NEQ6. I am currently using the ADM dovetail shown here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/adm-vixen-dovetail-for-ota.html

The issue that I currently have is that even without a camera/filter wheel attached to the scope the dovetail is nearly at the end of its travel in the saddle to attain balance. Once I have fitted the camera and FW I have insufficient adjustment to achieve balance.

I do like the ADM bars and the way that they attach to the scope with the radius blocks, utilising the existing OTA holes.

I am not averse to using a losmandy, rather than vixen dovetail.

Any advice or suggestions as to what others have done will gratefully recieved

In what direction are you having trouble balancing the system (RA or Dec)? A picture may be helpful here so we can see the problem. The choice between Vixen and Losmandy will only affect the stiffness of the system in terms of flex. The actual length of the bars will still be the same and so the same amount of adjustment. I have a Meade 8" SCT mounted on a AZEQ6-GT with a Losmandy bar and have no issues with balance in RA or Dec.

For it to be out of balance in Dec you would need the system massively front or rear heavy and if you have nothing mounted I find this hard to believe. If you are out in RA then you either need to move the counter balance weight in more or use a lighter weight, if you are light at the scope end. or if you are heavy at the scope end then the counter balance weight will need to move out more or you may need extra weights adding.

Here are a couple of pictures. In the 2nd one you can see how little travel is left on the dovetail to allow the ability to balance in Dec.

Dave,

Is the weight at the front adjustable, depending on the equip you have on the scope or is it a fixed counter weight?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived