NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

frustration with Celestron x-cel. Any tips?

Jimtheslim

I've given it a try. When it's at the right height I can rest my eyebrow on the top and look downward slightly and this seems to solve the problem, I suppose a lengthy observing session will be the real test. Thankfully the right height is just as the bottom rim of my 'relief booster' [patent pending] comes into contact with the textured part of the barrel so it holds really well.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think CN folks were limiting things to non-throw away eyepieces when considering worst eyepieces.  Ones marketed as great and wonderful and priced accordingly, but weren't.

The original XCel eyepieces suffered from spherical aberration of the exit pupil much like Televue's T1 Naglers and Radians.  There's only so much you can do to avoid kidney beaning with them.  Most importantly, never use them during the daytime.  Your decreased pupil may block some edge rays no matter where you place your eye relative to the eye lens.

20 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

There were Celestron X-Cel EP's - which were replaced by the X-Cel LX EP's. I don't know about the 8mm ones, but the 5mm X-Cel was called "The worst eyepiece of all time" in a CN review. I remember this clearly as, guess what? Yes - I have one! :D

Dave

I remember that statement too, it was from an experienced observer. The story continued too:smiley: Some time after getting rid of the first one, he thought that there must be something wrong with that specific one or his memory fault, an eyepiece couldn't be that bad. So he bought another one, and it was just as bad...

37 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Did these ever make it onto the marketplace, Michael? That might be the criteria for having made it into a CN-review. Poor schleps shelling out money for the privilage of having their vision assaulted.

If you know of these being sold as is - please let me know. I should like to round out my collection! :evil4:

Dave

Certainly, these were supplied with many a 60mm refractor sporting a maximum magnification of 350x.

Well, I am pleased to say that my eyecup extender has worked a treat. It's just a shame the seeing tonight doesn't seem to be up to much and I don't have a lot of time to really get comfortable over the eyepiece. It seemed to drift in and out of good focus with my 12.4mm plossl, but the 8mm x-cel just didn't want to perform. I am hoping it's just the seeing conditions, or I might be in the market for another eyepiece sooner than I thought!

38 minutes ago, Jimtheslim said:

Well, I am pleased to say that my eyecup extender has worked a treat. It's just a shame the seeing tonight doesn't seem to be up to much and I don't have a lot of time to really get comfortable over the eyepiece. It seemed to drift in and out of good focus with my 12.4mm plossl, but the 8mm x-cel just didn't want to perform. I am hoping it's just the seeing conditions, or I might be in the market for another eyepiece sooner than I thought!

The seeing is pretty ropey at the moment Jim so I'm sure it's just the conditions. Give it a try on a few more nights before making a decision.

Glad the 'relief booster' is working well!! ??

Archived