Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I get some help for equipment

Vanak

A good budget telescope for deep sky photography is the Skywatcher 130PDS newtonian (you'd want the PDS version in order to reach focus using your DSLR).

A good mount to get you going with the above scope would be the Skywatcher EQ5 Goto.

Add a Canon T ring and a T mount nosepiece and you're off!

(Sorry I've got no idea if any retailers in India would stock these products!) :icon_scratch:  

Hi Vanak,

So much with astro-photography is about how much you can afford, then you need to consider your night sky, whether it is very dark or badly light polluted and whether you can move your equipment to a darker site. Also at the start it's often difficult to know if you will enjoy taking images. Your Canon camera is a decent one and can be coupled to a variety of telescopes. If you can afford a equatorial mount that's good but you might want to consider, especially if budget is tight, to do things a different way. I you pop over to the No EQ Challenge' thread you will see what people have captured using cheap mounts and telescopes, and cameras that can also be used for normal photography in the day. If money is difficult such a set up could be the difference in you being able to image or just stop in at home reading about it.

Best of luck in your endevours.

Cheers,
Steve

If you already have lenses for your dslr why not just buy a decent mount for now (choose with where you want to go in mind such as good enough to carry a telescope for imaging) and use your camera and lenses and start to learn about taking images and processing you might find you need some of your saved budget for software. Prices are country specific so budget has nothing to compare to to know what mount you could get.

Another member in India managed to get themselves a skywatcher staradventurer. This portable tracking eq mount can carry a dslr with either lenses or small refractor telescope.

Have to agree with happy-kat above, unless you have the budget for guiding (requires a substantial mount, guide-scope, guide camera and laptop) lens imaging will likely give the best results for the money. The learning curve is less steep and camera lenses are typically faster than scopes, giving better signal-to-noise ratios. For example, here's one of my recent images captured with a second hand Canon 200mm f2.8 lens on a modded DSLR:

26027070094_3979748629_b.jpg

It's 70 minutes of data in 1 minute unguided subs.

Archived