NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

White Light Solar Filter for a 4" Refractor

bomberbaz

So I wanted to make a filter with some left over from my first successful effort. So I thought a 4" drainpipe block might work, and it did. So here goes.

It was a little too big so fluffy past of velcro was used to act as a pad/filler.

Cut a hole and smooth off with dremmil

Sandwich the Baader solar film between 2 pieces of hard cardboard, paint the sun facing piace black.

Insert the cardboard/solar film buttie into the drainpipe block.

Presto, a solar filter that is very snug with no chance of being dislodged (easily)

(Sorry forgot to take better pictures regarding the actual making of solar sandwich)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thanks guys, I am very pleased with the result. Its as good, if not better than the shop bought versions. 

As for safety, I think the scope would blow over before the wind dislodged it too, really is a firm fit.

• 4 months later...

I was using this the other day at a mates house and we had some fab views through it. A note for anyone trying out white light, the views were far better with more detail when I slapped a ND filter on the eyepiece with 12.5% light transmission. I think a moon filter or similar might yield similar results. 

Archived