Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 150p - focuser / eyepiece upgrade?

Hi all, 

Was hoping to get some advice, regarding a new Focuser and Eyepieces.

The focuser is straightforward, I want one which has smooth easy action and at a decent price (under £200)

Eyepieces is a little different, I am not sure which brand etc, I bought two GSO Plossl Eyepieces, 6mm and 9mm and a GSO 5x Barlow already and are OK, but which brands are good?

I have read that Meade 4000 are good and have seen a nice EP and filter kit for £199.

Any advice and recommendations are very much appreciated especially on the different types of ep's ?

thanks in advance

Carl.

It would help us to help you to know what telescope you have. Not all focusers are the same. If you have a Newtonian reflector - what size is the current focuser that came with it. If you have a Maksutov 150 - there are more options. And the eyepieces to consider will be quite different.

Dave

If you have Newtonian, you may need a custom mounting plate for generic focusers.  Higher-end focus makers generally stock mounting plates for most common tubes.  For refractors, it's nice if the focuser mounting holes line up with the existing ones in the tube.

Can't help with the focuser I'm afraid, but what sort of EPs do you want? Do you want to upgrade the 6 and 9mm EPs you already have (and if so, what do you feel is wrong with them), or are you looking for different magnifications? Personally I feel a x5 Barlow is pushing it on these two EPs, what has been your experience?

sorry,. I have the skywatcher star discovery 150p goto.

Nothing wrong with the GSO 6 and 9 mm I just wanted moreadvice in the different types of eps and which are better for clarity etc I also only have 4 eps and want ti build up on this. Only a beginner with the telescope / astronomy.

5x Barlow doesn't work too well with less than 10 mm eps, but boy the moon comes to life with a 5x and 10mm. The wide angled 25 mm and 5x is good too for the moon.

The focused is a stock 1.25 factory fitted. After much use, I feel it is stiff and clumsy, so would like to swap for something smoother and lighter to adjust.

hope I made sense, using my phone and at work so lots of interruptions

You would need to check this with the retailer but RVO are stating that the SW Low Profile focuser upgrade fits all PDS models. I assume that includes the 150P - but that's why you would have to check. The other thing with this one is that you'd have to get longer primary collimation screws fitted in order to move the mirror up the tube a little to achieve focus (the 150PDS has a slightly shorter tube than yours).

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-2-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-for-explorer-models.html

Alternatively you may find it preferable to sell your OTA and replace it with a 150PDS (tube only). But really the work involved replacing the focuser and primary screws is trivial if you can operate a screwdriver. Hth :)

That looks like a sweet focuser upgrade, although as Brantuk suggests, almost 100 pounds on the upgrade compared to a little over 200 for a new OTA is a difficult call!

Your choice of EPs depends to a large extent on the type of observation you enjoy. If you can upgrade to a 2" focuser, one option would be a wide view 2" EP for relatively low magnifications, perhaps in the 22 to 28mm range. These can provide really spectacular views for DSOs etc!

If you are more interested in Lunar or planetary observing, magnification becomes the issue. I think your scope has a focal length of 750mm, thus your 6mm GSO will give x125 and your 10mm with x5 Barlow will give x150. Which do you feel is more comfortable? I ask because higher magnification Plossls tend to have very short eye relief, meaning your eyeball has to be very close to a very small hole! Barlows on the other hand preserve the eye relief of the original EP. Good value EPs with a considerable following are the BST Explorer ED series, for example the 3.2mm EP:

http://www.365astronomy.com/3.2mm-BST-Explorer-ED-Eyepiece.html

Another type of EP which provides excellent Lunar and planetary observation is the Orthographic design. The Baader Classic series offers a good value range, but note the recommendation on eye relief:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

Personally I am not convinced by high power Barlows, for me x2 or x3 is more or less the most I would use.  In your telescope a 10mm EP with a x5 Barlow is giving a magnification of x325. Certainly this is achievable for Lunar observation when atmospheric conditions are very good, but remember that if seeing is poor your image will degrade severely.

Of course, there are considerably more expensive EPs increasing in price up to 500 pounds or more, and you do (generally) get what you pay for! Televue and Pentax are both very highly considered in the premium range.

Archived