Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

synscan vs CDC align discrepancy

CDC 3.21, synscan 3.37, 760mm telescope, eq6

finders: 9x50 and st80 (400mm f5)

Hi everyone

I just tried CDC after months of trying to avoid having have a computer in the astrophoto equation. There's one thing about the alignment which has always puzzled. On synscan, the first alignment star is always way off, sometimes out of the 9x50 fov wheras on CDC it's close to the centre of the narrower fov 400mm even with a 12mm ep. Experiment. I aligned using both synscan and CDC on Sirius and Regulus either side of the meridian less tha 1/2 hour apart and from a polar-aligned-with-hour-angle-and-polarscope-method same home position, Sirius first. I used 2 star align on synscan and sync on CDC. I then slewed to Alioth. The latter is dead centre, synscan is half way to the edge in the st80. I really would like to avoid the mess of cables that CDC introduces [1]. Checklist: level mount, bubble-level home position, date format, longitude, time, time zone.... Anyone?

Cheers, clear skies and TIA.

[1] although I think PHD is going to implore me to have them. If I ever get a guide camera which works that is.

To get CDC to drive the mount, I suspect that you are using the supplied PC cable together with a USB to serial adaptor, and putting the Synscan into 'direct pc mode' ??  

If so, then differences could be due to how good you are entering your location\time data into the Synscan, and CDC, which 'should' be the same... 

IF you want to go the Imaging\PHD2 guiding route, then you'll not need\use the Synscan controller at all, as you will get an EQDirect adaptor(USB to serial), that plugs in directly to the mount, together with the Ascom platform & EQMod, so that the PC does all the work....

Hi, one of the biggest problems is getting all the bits to talk to each other on the same day. In cdc there is a setup window for the observatory and in that you enter your location. In the synscan the date and time. If you use eqmod then the locations must be the same. Also remember to sync your star alignment on then hand set or in cdc. You need I am sure to be using eqmod or some other software to in conjunction with cdc in order for it to syn your star alignments and other targets. The more you sync the better the target alignment. Jay

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I connect with the handset in pc-direct mode using a usb to serial cable. The only extra cable I got was the usb-serial. I have eqmod on top of ASCOM on the PCIt's just that I'd rather have just the handset rather than a laptop and the damn cables.

Maybe a better question would be: can I get the handset as accurate as CDC?

TIA

5 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

IF you want to go the Imaging\PHD2 guiding route, then you'll not need\use the Synscan controller at all, as you will get an EQDirect adaptor(USB to serial), that plugs in directly to the mount, together with the Ascom platform & EQMod, so that the PC does all the work....

Hi. OK, so maybe I'd get even more accurate alignment by removing the handset (?). My confusion arises as the adapter you suggest, the usb-serial, I already have. Or are you saying that with PHD, I must remove the handset? IOW, PHD will not work in conjuction with the handset connected as I have at the moment?

Cheers

The replacement EQdirect USB\Serial adaptor, I was talking of, would plug into the same port, on the mount, that the Synscan plugs into. This is usually an RJ45 type connector, but if your mount uses a DB9 connector, then your existing adaptor may be ok. And yes you must remove the handset, as it just introduces something else that can hinder control...

hi, you seem to be getting in too deep over this issue. Lets start from the begining. POLAR ALIGNMENT , if you get this bang on the rest will be a piece of cake. leave the handset connected and in pc mode if connected to the laptop . This will still allow you to move the scope using the handset to star align. I get good alignment using the handset with 3 star alignment but you must remember to sync. Just to add to the thread I have just brought skyfi for my mount using safari pro5 on my ipad or iphone to control the mount/scope. NO CABLES . Jay

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. When you say 'sync' on synscan, do you mean the bit where you hold down the esc key and then hit enter?

Using CDC, the handset arrow keys only gives me very fast slew; no use for star alignment. Is it possible to set the slew speed when in pc-direct?

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, alacant said:

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. When you say 'sync' on synscan, do you mean the bit where you hold down the esc key and then hit enter?

Using CDC, the handset arrow keys only gives me very fast slew; no use for star alignment. Is it possible to set the slew speed when in pc-direct?

Thanks again.

I'm not using the handset with EQmod, but am directly connected with one of these special cables..

for moving I use the buttons in EQMod.. you can also change the rate directly next to these buttons and this will make it easier to center objects.

edit: actually I use a Gamepad, that's connected via bluetooth, but is set up to control these EQMod buttons

Archived