NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Struggling with Processing WL from 7DII

Psychobilly

I finally had a gap in the cloud from home to get some WL full disc data with AR2529...

I used the 7DII with the 600/f4L IS USM and 1.4X Extender II and shot  batches of Raws...

I pre-processed these in PIPP into TIFF's  following this tutorial https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/example-uasge/example3

Before trying Stacking in Registax 6...

Then took the TIFF from Registax in PS CC for a bit of PP...

Sun%20in%20white%20Light%2014-04-2016%20

Any tips?

Thanks Peter...

That is a pretty good crack at it and a lot of what you are doing is good. Often it can just be the seeing too.

It has been so long since I have done any dslr WL full discs but from memory I'll try and recap my process.

Firstly I did pretty much what you have done up to PIPP. I would use PIPP but then eventually took the TIF to Autostakkert, however Registax for stacking I used for soo long and is fine to use, often I would try both and see what is better.
Anyway, I would only use the stacking software for stacking only and not sharpening.
I would only ever stack the few best frames from the run too, so if I took 100 pics I would individually go through and pick the best of them, often that was less than 20 frames and sometimes as low as 7 or 8 but this probably made the biggest difference of anything.

Then I took the stacked TIF to Photoshop CS5, not sure how that relates to CC, but it has the option for using "Smart sharpen" and I found that to give better results than any wavelets.

These days I would likely use deconvolution in AstraImage but when I was doing full discs I didn't at the time.

Roughly that is anyway. :)

Thanks Jarrod...

I use Focusmagic for sharpening as it uses  deconvolution . there was plenty of cloud of varying thickness about... It's really annoying I live a few miles north of the office but have clear skies in work and cloud at home . I really want to get the LOHA out and grab some close-up HA... but the forecast doesn't look good and AR will be disappearing around the limb before it clears again on Sunday...

Peter...

3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Pretty good result. Did you try AS!2 as an alternative stacking option? If you edit the settings file you can chamge the maximum bitmap size so it will work

Cheers Michael I wondered  what was going  wrong... I will have to try it again... I guess the info is out there as to what I need to change?

Peter...

6 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

In the AutoStakkert directory find the configuration file, and insert under the line [Settings]

maxWidth=5200
maxHeight=3500

or whatever size you like

Thanks but will it handle the Canon Raws or the Tiffs from PIPP?

I only get AVI and SER options?

9 hours ago, PBS said:

Should have read the manual ... got to drag and drop the tiff's in...

TVM :)

Somethings not quite right?

ASI2_D2_8933_g4_b3_ap152.jpg

Try with making the AVI from PIPP a mono output , using a large (300 x 300) align box , and stacking only the very best frames to eliminate these artifacts .

Using the Centre/Crop function in PIPP will reduce file size and eliminate the big black margin thereby reducing processing times considerably.

Thanks all for the comments and advice... Is  there much difference in the results from Registrax and the tiif as AVI from AS!2 ? My desktops got plenty of grunt to handle them so it's not a problem... I let AS!2 have 12 cores and loads of memory ...

These were a quick grab with Baader Solar film filter on the 600/f4L IS 1.4X extender II and 7DII  a run of 39 frames with quality (from PIPP)  from 100% to 97%.  The camera and lens  were on photo tripod and gymbal head the mainly cloudy sky meant I didn't bother setting up the NEQ-6  with the LOHA and this setup side by side... I was pleasantly surprised with the results especially in the V2 so will definitely use this as grab and go and can event take it into work with me...

My location tucked under the mountain and trees behind stops me getting a clear view of the sun until around this time of year...

Peter...

Archived