Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does the HEQ5 Tripod have spiked feet?

dyfiastro

Hi everything

This may sound at first like a strange question but stay with me.
I have been trying to find a decent photo of the tripod that comes with a HEQ5 to find out if it has spikes built into its feet like a lot of good photography tripods?

I have not purchased my setup yet but as part of my research I starting to think about setting up and making life a little easier etc...

In this case I am thinking about polar aligning. My thinking is this (please tell me if I am wrong)
If the tripod has spikes then there would be nothing stopping me from drilling three small holes into the patio for the spikes to sit in. After the first initial enlightenment the tripod and mount could then just be placed in the same position with the spikes in the holes and not have to go through the whole process every time.

I have a decent sized patio in the back garden with pretty dark views with a full 360 view, would this setup work to get started?

Not spikes but a hard plastic conical tipped "foot" on each leg. Some I've had have a rubber covering on the conical part.

The "marking where the feet go" approach does work although some fine tuning of the alignment may well still be needed for really accurate tracking.

6 minutes ago, John said:

Not spikes but a hard plastic conical tipped "foot" on each leg. Some I've had have a rubber covering on the conical part.

The "marking where the feet go" approach does work although some fine tuning of the alignment may well still be needed for really accurate tracking.

Thanks for the quick advise and reply.
The whole marking thing is something I have seen which is why I thought about just taking it that one step further with the foot holes.

I am trying to research as much as possible whilst saving for the mount and scope etc...

4 minutes ago, JemC said:

here you go, picture acquired courtesy of google but this is what mine looks like,

skywatcher-heq5-a1-1000x700.jpg

James

Thanks very much james. I had seen a few photos like that but was not sure if that was the standard tripod or not.
Thanks for clearing it up for me.

22 hours ago, digitalcyanide said:

Hi everything

This may sound at first like a strange question but stay with me.
I have been trying to find a decent photo of the tripod that comes with a HEQ5 to find out if it has spikes built into its feet like a lot of good photography tripods?

I have not purchased my setup yet but as part of my research I starting to think about setting up and making life a little easier etc...

In this case I am thinking about polar aligning. My thinking is this (please tell me if I am wrong)
If the tripod has spikes then there would be nothing stopping me from drilling three small holes into the patio for the spikes to sit in. After the first initial enlightenment the tripod and mount could then just be placed in the same position with the spikes in the holes and not have to go through the whole process every time.

I have a decent sized patio in the back garden with pretty dark views with a full 360 view, would this setup work to get started?

I just bought my HEQ5 in December, and it has little soft rubber sleeves over the hard plastic feet, but they feel like they can be taken off pretty easily.

IMG_4332.JPG

3 hours ago, Alnasl said:

I just bought my HEQ5 in December, and it has little soft rubber sleeves over the hard plastic feet, but they feel like they can be taken off pretty easily.

IMG_4332.JPG

Thanks for the info.
I think this will at least help to get things aligned a little easier until I can come up with something a little bit more permanent.

Archived