NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Weight balance for larger Mak scope on SCT goto mount

Sorry about the title, I couldn't think of an appropriate one!

I've got a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT and my question is:

Can another larger Mak scope like this - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-150-pro.html    fit on my tripod and work or will this mess up the balance and goto system?

Thanks

PS. Mods feel free to add a title if you can think of one lol

The mount for the 127 is one of the smaller motorised mounts - the 150 Mak is quite large and heavy. You can probably find a way to fit it on - but it's gonna be way overweight for the tripod and the motors will strain. I think you'd need either a Skytee2 (alt/az) or an EQ5 (ra/dec) minimum - or similar. :)

8 hours ago, brantuk said:

The mount for the 127 is one of the smaller motorised mounts - the 150 Mak is quite large and heavy. You can probably find a way to fit it on - but it's gonna be way overweight for the tripod and the motors will strain. I think you'd need either a Skytee2 (alt/az) or an EQ5 (ra/dec) minimum - or similar. :)

Thanks, I thought as much.

Pete I have changed your title. Happy to change it back or put an alternative.

I have a 72mm Altair small frac which weighs 2.5kgs and I place it on a photo tripod. I use a Baader Witty head which is not really strong enough but it works. I have screwed a vixen type saddle onto the head and move the scope forward. However, moving to the vertical I get slippage.

Let me know if you want it changed.

It looks like the 150mm mak weights around 6 kilos (with all trimmings) which I would think is way too much for your az goto mount which is probably around 4 kilo max load though I read the manual it didn't give any clue in there.

I have the 150mm SW Mak. With the finder, it does weigh in at about 13lbs. or 6Kg. I don't know the weight-limit on a 5EQ-mount. But I'd like to. Anyone?

It's a very, very nice telescope for close-in work on planets, comets, double-stars, and some DSO's like globular-clusters and ring-nebulae.

If this appeals to you, it's an excellent choice.

Good price at FLO,

Dave

Archived