Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dec gear backlash (video)

Brent

Just a quick question as the motors are off my LXD75 and it's looking like clear skies tonight. I have pretty horrendous dec backlash (the grub screw is holding the mount side gear solid now though).

I've uploaded a video to YouTube (below) of some of the rocking movement on the dec (motor side) gear. Apologies if it's hard to see as was hand holding camera and motor housing. Hope you can see the amount of movement though.

Question is, could this be the cause or should there actually be a little play there?

https://youtu.be/gh451JguU0A

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Grant said:

If you just copy and paste the youtube URL of the video you want to embed, the new forum editor will do the embedding for you :)

Aah, thanks. I was befuddled by the simplicity :laugh2:

3 hours ago, m.tweedy said:

why do you not look at the LXD55/75 forum. Mike Weasner covered just about everything you could think of on there

http://www.weasner.com/lxd/

Thanks, I've been on Mike's site innumerable times for various reasons over the years of owning the mount but haven't noticed anything specific to this "problem".
It doesn't seem to be just a loose set screw problem because I think I see the motor shaft rotating with the gear, it's like the play is in the shaft and within the motor housing itself.
I think I might just bite the bullet and take the motor apart - I'm just waiting on some lubricant to be delivered to do the rest of the mount anyway.

Archived