Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CPC Hand Controller Extension

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Celestron cpc deluxe 1100 hd and I'd like to extend the hand controller about 20 Meters.  Has anyone here done this or any other kind of extension?  I think the connector is an RJ11 and I'm assuming I just need something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001NXK77O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003JHF9A2&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=16ZDQ8EBEQR5YYC3ED8S but will it work okay over this kind of distance?

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks

Karl

Hi Karl,

I purchased a 15 metre cable from Astronomiser and sadly I could never get it to work. i got "Error 17" message which I beleive indicates that the handset cannot communicate with the mount. I eliminated faults with the cable and the power supply so it would appear that it is hit and miss whether it will work and from my research it seems I am not alone. i ended up using Nexremote on a laptop and a 15 metre cable to the handset - works flawlessly. Nexremote is free and has identical functionality to the handset with the added advantage that it picks up the time and date from the laptop rather than having to type it in every time. It does have the disadvantage of having to carry the laptop outside if there is a problem aligning, but that's very rare now as I use a webcam attached to the finder to align remotely so no need to be at the scope.

i'm assuming the CPC uses the Nexstar handset? The other option is wireless control but I have never tried this.

Rob

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

What about cord wrap let alone the current drop?

Peter

I would have a camera watching the scope.  Cable and cord wrap is always something I need to work around with so many cameras, heaters, remote focusser etc.  Thanks though :) 

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Hi Karl,

I purchased a 15 metre cable from Astronomiser and sadly I could never get it to work. i got "Error 17" message which I beleive indicates that the handset cannot communicate with the mount. I eliminated faults with the cable and the power supply so it would appear that it is hit and miss whether it will work and from my research it seems I am not alone. i ended up using Nexremote on a laptop and a 15 metre cable to the handset - works flawlessly. Nexremote is free and has identical functionality to the handset with the added advantage that it picks up the time and date from the laptop rather than having to type it in every time. It does have the disadvantage of having to carry the laptop outside if there is a problem aligning, but that's very rare now as I use a webcam attached to the finder to align remotely so no need to be at the scope.

i'm assuming the CPC uses the Nexstar handset? The other option is wireless control but I have never tried this.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response though not what I wanted to hear :(   With the old set up I used Ski Fi wireless but found I could not do fine adjustments nudging the scope in position.  That was an AZ EQ6 and I ended up just using an RJ45 to RJ45 cable which worked a treat.  I may buy a cable to experiment with but I'll certainly look into the Nexremote as it sounds like it could work well so thank you :)

Thanks again

Karl

Archived